Beargap

Reaction score
City, State
Bear Gap, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 XLT
Callsign
WA4THR
I've driven a '97 Explorer with Control Trak for years. It works well and I especially appreciate the ability to lock the transfer case in poor conditions providing an immediate improvement in traction without waiting for a wheel to slip.

Our new (to us) '08 V8-AWD Mountaineer has a less accessible function reached through the info center that reads AWD Locked or Unlocked. Just what does that do? Is that a way to lock the transfer case? Neither the owner's manual nor the shop manual provide any enlightenment on this.

=Vic=

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bear - the awd in its normal setting will work similar to the 4x4 auto setting on you 97. it will be biased to the rear until it detects slippage and engage the front. you will feel it kick in. if you scroll through the menu and select AWD lock, it will act as a 4x4 with both front and rear engaged. As with other 4x4's this should not be used on dry pavement or at high speeds. really the newer AWD is simply a control-trac system wth no low range.

if you are in snow, sand, mud etc and want the "no wheelspin prior to engagement" lock the awd.

If the newer system is lockable and not usable on dry pavement, then it should not be called AWD.

The past descriptions never mixed the names or definitions. That's why auto 4WD(A4WD) is appropriate to describe a real 4WD that is not usable on dry pavement, and AWD is always used on all pavement.

I'm wondering who to be mad at, either Ford for mixing up terms and further confusing people, or individuals who still keep mixing up the terms. There is a difference, and it's very important for people who swap parts like most of us on these forums.

Bear - the awd in its normal setting will work similar to the 4x4 auto setting on you 97. it will be biased to the rear until it detects slippage and engage the front. you will feel it kick in. if you scroll through the menu and select AWD lock, it will act as a 4x4 with both front and rear engaged. As with other 4x4's this should not be used on dry pavement or at high speeds. really the newer AWD is simply a control-trac system wth no low range.

if you are in snow, sand, mud etc and want the "no wheelspin prior to engagement" lock the awd.

Thanks. I presume it has the same type of clutch pack, then? Actually, that is good news to me. I just wish the lock function was a little easier to engage. For that matter, I wish it had low-range, too. Oh, well. I still have to older Explorer for really off road stuff.

=Vic=

If the newer system is lockable and not usable on dry pavement, then it should not be called AWD.

The past descriptions never mixed the names or definitions. That's why auto 4WD(A4WD) is appropriate to describe a real 4WD that is not usable on dry pavement, and AWD is always used on all pavement.

I'm wondering who to be mad at, either Ford for mixing up terms and further confusing people, or individuals who still keep mixing up the terms. There is a difference, and it's very important for people who swap parts like most of us on these forums.

Be angry at Ford for the confusion. They used the term AWD on the trucks, (they are clearly auto4WD but no lo??) they even have an AWD light that lights up on the dash when they have the "AWD" engaged. Beats me why they chose to add to the confusion. Total crap if you ask me.

Both the Control Trak 4WD and AWD are fully usable on dry pavement with no restrictions. In fact, starting in '97 Ford even dropped the 2WD mode as superfluous in the Explorer. Rather than a viscous clutch, the Control Trak (and presumably the newer AWD) uses a pulsating clutch pack which can be locked off pavement to function the same as a mechanical 4WD. So, really, the auto mode in that system is really an AWD.

=Vic=

Both the Control Trak 4WD and AWD are fully usable on dry pavement with no restrictions. In fact, starting in '97 Ford even dropped the 2WD mode as superfluous in the Explorer. Rather than a viscous clutch, the Control Trak (and presumably the newer AWD) uses a pulsating clutch pack which can be locked off pavement to function the same as a mechanical 4WD. So, really, the auto mode in that system is really an AWD.

=Vic=

Your confusing 4 wheel drive with all wheel drive. They are not the same. A TRUE AWD system does not have electrical anything controlling it. All Wheel Drive is mechanical and fluid dynamics, not computers-sloenoids-electric clutches-switches-lights-bells&whistles.

AWD has a vicous coupler, no clutch packs. The coupler allows different rotational speeds front/rear.

Not meaning to be argumentative, but I think you are confusing the mechanism with the result. A vehicle which can be driven on dry pavement with all 4 wheels providing power is usually referred to as AWD, while if the transfer case locks and does not allow differing axle speeds and is better suited in low traction conditions is 4WD. Saying an AWD has to have a mechanical system is like saying if you don't have to get out and lock your hubs you don't have a real 4WD.

=Vic=

I don't see that as argumentative at all.
What I meant (and really didn't express very well) is that Ford, in its infinite wisdom, has mislabeled their new AWD system. It is a much more advanced computer controlled Auto-4WD system than what was in the previous generation Explorers. The computer engages and disengages the electric clutch in the transfercase. It is my understanding that All Wheel Drive is always on, and does not have the capability of being a part-time system. So, if that was a true AWD it couldn't be shut off by the operator of the vehicle nor be turned off remotely by the computer.

I don't see that as argumentative at all.
What I meant (and really didn't express very well) is that Ford, in its infinite wisdom, has mislabeled their new AWD system. It is a much more advanced computer controlled Auto-4WD system than what was in the previous generation Explorers. The computer engages and disengages the electric clutch in the transfercase. It is my understanding that All Wheel Drive is always on, and does not have the capability of being a part-time system. So, if that was a true AWD it couldn't be shut off by the operator of the vehicle nor be turned off remotely by the computer.

You are correct, and the issue really should be about how the average not smart car person understands the operation.

Here's the real point. Stupid people will get in a vehicle that is called AWD and believe that that means that they can do anything with it in all conditions. That means that they will turn on the locked selections and think that no harm can be done in any conditions.

Any system that includes the ability to lock the front and rear driveshafts, is not AWD and should not include the AWD term or letters etc. Try hard to make things idiot proof. Tell idiots that they can drive an AWD in any conditions(dry pavement) and not hurt anything. But do not tell them the same about the other types, the lockable types.

A lockable 4WD system should have warnings posted in owners manuals etc, explaining the dangers of using certain features on dry pavement etc.

The term automatic is a great term that separates AWD from the other types. Use that, as they have in the past.

Back