Ball joint boots | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ball joint boots

bigcrunch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 v8
Are replacements avail that fit upper front?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, Upper ball joints aren't replaceable at least for the 2000 explorer (the whole ball joint or just the boot like you are looking for)

Chances are if the boot ripped, and its been ripped for a while, you should replace it because it has lost the grease inside and road grime and dirt has gotten in there which is not good.

You need to purchase a upper control arm which has the ball joint on it.

Its very easy for the passenger side, just make sure you mark the location of the bolts and get it as close as possible to where it was before. Driver side is a little harder to get the bolt out because its near all the brake lines etc but keep playing with it and turning it till it comes out (the lines can move but be gentle). Again either or both sides you do, you are going to need an alignment afterwords. If you need more instructions on how to get those bolts out let me know.

It has new ball joints, it sat since 2014 the boots on M band like to fall apart. I just need the boots thanks.

NAPA had a boot for a large truck tie rod or drag link that fit but i cant find the part number

NAPA had a boot for a large truck tie rod or drag link that fit but i cant find the part number
That would be useful, thanks for saying it's possible. I have four new arms on my Mercury from 2007, and they now have under 15k miles on them, but the UCA boots are dry rotting etc. These are all Moog parts also, they have cheap boots. I think that's why there newest version of LCA's have no large grease boots, just tiny seals right at the joint, which won't be flexing much I think. Hopefully they do last longer, we'll see, I'm installing four tomorrow morning on my 98 Limited.

There's "universal fit" options for replacement ball joint boots, just need to measure and select which is right for your ball joint you have installed since you're already on aftermarket arms. This is just one website for such, there's a lot more options out there. Aftermarket Universal Dust Boots | Polyurethane Replacement Dust Cover

I wish MOOG would have changed their ball joints to the new design in their Problem Solver UCAs, I have two sitting on the bench waiting to install and am a bit disappointed (although not surprised) to hear the boots are poor quality. I may need to consider getting a better boot before installation now.

Problem with universal dust boots is they don't seal at the flange. They're more like covers. Most ball joint boots have a metal wire molded into them that snap on to the flange. Installing them with a short piece of 2" diameter PCV pipe and couple of small hammer taps works great.

http://fme-cat.com/livedocs/DYK11_102_ENG-R.pdf

It has new ball joints, it sat since 2014 the boots on M band like to fall apart. I just need the boots thanks.
What make and model upper BJs? Do those have a warranty still in effect? You might see if the company will just ship you a couple boots... probably not, but can't hurt to ask.

Depending on where you bought them, it could still be easy. For example I bought a different part (Dorman intake manifold for a Buick if it matters) with a lifetime warranty on Amazon, and a pressure sensor bracket broke off, years after installed. The Dorman-Amazon liaison had Amazon send me an entire replacement intake manifold kit because the part that broke wasn't available separately.

They were going to send me a pre-paid shipping label to return the used manifold on their dime, but due to the nature of the part (intake manifolds having soot and an oily residue on the inside) they didn't even want the old one returned.

Swapping out just the parts (boots) that are bad could be even easier at a local auto parts store. Just pop the boots off the new one at the counter and hand them the old boots.

Those moog BJ's with the internal boot, I have them on my lowers. One thing I was thinking during installation was, if they do crack, how are you going to see it? This could reduce their warranty replacement rate just because people wait until they completely fail rather than just seeing a cracked boot. Well, that and being able to relube them and flush old dirty lube out when you do. Kinda weird though, seeing ~1/2" of exposed ball joint stud where a boot used to be.

I just spent yesterday installing the four Moog CA's, alignment, and then later changed out the front carrier. The Moog UCA boots are a decent looking black boot now, one was already installed, and the other pushed on securely. The pair I have that the boots are falling apart, they are a slight green color I believe, those even the upper thick mounting edge is cracked a lot. The uppers are very easy to replace the boot, if one is available that fits well.

I had a noise Friday that I took to be one axle(oldest, CV boot dry rotting, warranted), changed that and the noise went away for three days. Then changing the four CA's really brought it back, awful grinding/popping/catching, slow and at speed. The carrier was toast, I haven't opened it up yet, but the pinion yoke moves around a bunch in multiple directions. I need to learn how to build those front D35's, I need three done now.

Mevotech brand ball joint boots are rubbish also.

Back