Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a productive day. You are getting a lot accomplished:chug:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Its going well. Now that I have stripped the foam off the headliner, I am glad I stopped pulling on it. It has fractures all over. I ended up using a large brass brush I got from Harbor Freight because I wanted the steel brushes in the same kit. It worked very well. I put no downward pressure on it and scrubbed the foam off. Took a few hours, but did not do any more damage to the headliner. Its ready for repair and recovering.
In progress;
20171205_105659.jpg

Completed
20171205_122948.jpg

Fractures in material

20171205_123011.jpg

20171205_122951.jpg

If the Explorer was just a trail rig, I would have yanked the headliner out in pieces and not replaced it.

Now I see what the aluminum foil is for:eek:

I worked on repairing the headliner today, but mostly I was out shopping for supplies. Also went to the DMV to do a partial application for salvage certificate. All I need now is a brake and light inspection, and have DMV check the VIN. After I get it finished, of course.

Purchased headliner fabric that is much lighter than the stock color. It was really all I could locate in the area that was not gray or black. It should be fine. I worked on repairing the headliner. The aluminum tape doesn't stick very well to the headliner. I ended up going around the entire edge and put a bunch on the back of it where it won't show, and if it comes unstuck, won't ruin the headliner. The tape that was on the front I sprayed with adhesive, which seemed to do the trick. I filled some of the holes in the material I no longer need (grab handle mounts, visor mounts, etc) with little cut-outs of cardboard, then backed it on both sides with the aluminum tape. It should keep the fabric smoother. I also repaired the holes around the dome lights with cardboard and a bunch of tape to make them square again, then I backed the push pin holes with tape on both sides because they are degraded. That is a very large headliner (9' long) so the plan is to cover it in four stages, starting with the rear quarter and working my way forward.

I did several solo dry runs with the headliner fabric, trying several different ways of application. They all resulted in a mishap. I am going to wait until I have some help because I don't see success without at least two more hands involved. Should be Saturday or Sunday.

I installed the modified shock hoop cross member, fits nicely.
20171208_101217.jpg

I also mounted the bumper LED light and grill.
20171208_111220.jpg

hope all you guys in ca are avoiding the fires.
roscoe

Sorry the liner removal was a bust. I was afraid you couldn't get it to drop low enough, to pull it out the back. You seen what I meant about how it cracks.

It only needed to drop a few inches. When I pulled the cage off the cut tubes, the headliner dropped right on top of the cage and then I could pull it out the back The dropped cage will make a good rest for reinstall. The headliner is cracked, but mostly intact.

What about a strange repair to it? Use something like mesh tape for drywall with something like that cheapo bedliner in a spray can that they sell at home depot? Together I would think that you could "glue" up the cracks and give the headliner a coating of a rubber like substance that would help it stay together?

What about a strange repair to it? Use something like mesh tape for drywall with something like that cheapo bedliner in a spray can that they sell at home depot? Together I would think that you could "glue" up the cracks and give the headliner a coating of a rubber like substance that would help it stay together?

I think that would look awful and make a mess. My interior is going to look pretty good when its finished, so it was worth it to me to recover the headliner. Like I posted earlier, if it was strictly a trail rig, I would have just ripped the cloth that was separating off.

Headliner got recovered tonight with the help of my daughter, her boyfriend and my wife. Did it in three sections. It came out fairly well, except right at the end at the front there is a crease, and it has a few small waves in it. I think the windshield cross member will cover most of the crease. I also think I waited too long after applying the contact cement. The instructions say to wait one minute after spraying both sides to be glued together. I should have started immediately to give us more time to fix any issues. As it was, we had about a second to move it before it was stuck for all eternity.

Its going back in tomorrow, along with the cage. I am going to put large cardboard pieces on top of the cage, then use that as a rest for the headliner to make it easier to install.
20171210_192843.jpg

Headliner installed!

Cage welded back in, cleaned up and painted!

Probably not much to do until Wednesday, tomorrow I am busy with other stuff, but will be picking up the front seats from the seat cover lady. Wednesday I am planning on installing the interior for the umpteenth time, the stereo and finishing up the alarm wiring. Getting real close to having it finished.

I guess I meant using the mesh tape and bedliner underneath the headliner material where you would never see it. I am glad that you got it though!

Oh, sorry. I noticed that any imperfection in the headliner itself seems to show through the fabric. I figured out when installing the headliner today that the wavy lines are from the cracks in the headliner.

Dam....your almost ready to wheel...better get my stuff together....:confused:

I was planning on having the interior completely installed and the remainder of the wiring finished by today, but Sarah had a different idea. Yesterday, she was riding a three year old very green Warmblood who decided to rear instead of canter. Somehow, it went up so fast that its neck contacted her hand and broke the number five metacarpal. It was a clean break with no bone deviation. I took her to Urgent Care for x-rays (yep, its broken) and today to a Orthopedist for a cast. She is a trooper; went to the ranch after Urgent Care and after her cast appointment today.
20171212_183915.jpg

20171213_153240.jpg

I did manage to do a little wiring, install the carpet and the seat belts today. I think I will have the interior finished by Friday. Sarah is going to babysit three kids for a woman at the ranch so she can do Sarah's job until Monday. Should give her enough time to get used to the cast. Should also give her incentive to get back to ranch work as soon as possible.

Dash - COMPLETE!
Interior wiring - DONE!
Also got most of the interior panels, and the rear cargo carpet installed. Just need the console, lower kick panels and seats installed, and interior will be finished. Should be able to get that finished tomorrow. Looking at the pictures, I need to adjust the glove box door.
20171214_170817.jpg

20171214_170904.jpg

20171214_170833.jpg

Picture of wiring under the dash. Sure looks different than version I and II.
20171214_141021.jpg

Also need to finish wiring the rock lights. Then I will be waiting on the tie-rod before I can take it for a drive.

Glad to hear Sarah is ok. In prompt ER/Urgent Care visits are never on the to do list.

How did the seats come out? Pics? Or are you waiting to share till install?

:popcorn:

Interior is installed!
20171218_164631.jpg

20171218_164850.jpg

20171218_164944.jpg

I need to install the transmission gauges and pods, the grab handles and cage padding, and the interior will be complete.

I think I would have had it finished today, but the dome light is not functioning. The map lights work, and all the other door and cargo lights work. No power to the dome light wire. It worked before I tore it apart and put it back together, so I had no thoughts of checking it BEFORE I installed the headliner and cage. I spent over an hour trying to figure out why it doesn't have power before I gave up and moved on. I will start tracing wires tomorrow after I install the trans gauges and finish wiring the rock lights.

Back