Bolt on tow hooks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bolt on tow hooks

R

rock883

Well, after I put my body lift on, I wanted to get some tow hooks up front. So I went to AutoZone and got some Reese hooks (same company that makes the hitches). Anyways, the hooks bolted right up to the front framerails. Now I don't know if it would work as good as it does on mine, unless you have a 3" body and have relocated the bumpers. Because the hooks sit about an inch or so below the bumper, but they look good. To get the bolts through on the passenger side, I tossed them through that big slot towards the engine, and I worked its way through the holes, took a while, but it was easier on the second one. But after I got the 2 bolts in I just tightened them. Then on the driver's side, there wasn't a big slot in the frame rail, so I had to drill out that little slot on the bottom of the rail bigger to let the bolts come up into the rail, then I maneuvered them into the holes and bolted the hook to it. The hoooks are bolted to the side of the frame rail instead of below to allow bettr ground clearance. I took some pics, but I have some more film to go for my lights and all, but they should be posted in about a week. The only thing I don't liek about the hooks, is they didn't come with the little tabs that keep the strap in place, but I may make something to go on there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any ideas on how to mount for a 94 with no lift?

I was considering:

Rear:

Side of frame rail on either side........srtrap would have to rub bottom of bumper though.......OR, mount to stock bumper trailer flange............

Front:

I'm ordering a bolt on grill guard that mounts to the stock bumper bolts.....If I mounted the hooks there, do you think the grill guard/bumper mounts would be strong enough to tug on?

I just put the lift on 2 days ago, and already I forgot how much clearance there is with the front bumper. If the bumper sits about 1/2" below the frame, you may not have a problem running tow hooks like I did. I may, since I have a gap in between my rear bumper, put some tow hooks right on that "shelf" above the bumper, I may also mount a hilift there, or maybe some backup lights??

I like the light idea. But the rear bumper isn't too bad to move up. I have some pics of it down and then up and when we were cutting the frame. As soon as they get scanned I'll post them.

I love the iead of tow hooks on the front. I was about to get some from performance products. Can you see your from the front, or are the hidden. I wanted to hook them up so the were at a bit of an angle and then cut the air dam thing so they will show through. I'll see what I can do though.

Chris

Hey Chris, they are angled down and I think the lowest part of the hook is even with the bottom of the frame. They would work perfectly with yours. If you were to get some, get the ones at Autozone, the company that makes them is Reese, the reason why I say to get them there, is because I am not sure if the bolt pattern is the same. I think if you put them on and cut your airdam it would look pretty good, I took my airdam off a while ago, and I can't find the screws that hold it onto the bumper, so I am just gonna leave it off.I was wondering for the rear bumper, if I cut the brackets, welded in a piece in between the 2 pieces to make it look like this:

|
-
|

I think you get the idea. But that way, since it would have the bend like that, it would go right in, ya know?? I may not do it at all, because of the hitch back there and the spare show, don't they?? Or does it not look that bad?

Yeah, i'll see what I am going to do with the hooks. I like your idea though. For the bumper, I see what you are saying. What I did was notch the bracket and frame so the bumper will slid into it. You see about 1/2 an inch of the frame rail under the bumper. I took my spare off since you won't be able to access it with the bumper rasied up... the piece the rod goes into to lower it is part of the frame and that didnt move. I am currently trying to find a way to move that piece up. But if you left the spare on there it won't show too much I don't think.

Chris

Back