udmsvt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited 5.0 AWD
ok, so my 93 sport has 95k on it.

about 2 mos ago, i decided to check the plugs because it was missing and found most of the plugs to be way off on the gaping and also noticed they were autolite (heard bad things about them) and the wires were motorcraft.

so, i replaced plugs with bosch platinum 4s and wires with bosch. the miss is gone but i didnt really notice any *EDIT: performance or mpg* improvement. i now have a set of splitfire wires coming in and i was wondering just how much better should these be than the bosch? i know they are considered good, but i was always under the impression that bosch was one of the best.

also, i have heard good and bad about the bosch +4s, any body had problems wit them in the 4.0 OHV?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard that the best plugs for eXplorers are the Motorcraft Double Platnum from the dealer.

" the miss is gone but i didnt really notice any improvement. "

Ummm... Hhmmmm... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by udmsvt
EDIT: performance or mpg

yeah it fixed my miss, but i didnt see anything else from it....i was hoping for better fuel economy and maybe a little more pep.

It's best to stick with Motorcraft plugs. I've had nothing but bad luck with Bosch plugs, although I've never tried them in a Explorer.

You can get Motorcraft Double Plats from Autozone for $4/plug.

i paid 6 ea for my bosch. i may look into the motocraft plugs, i just wasnt too impressed with them in my last car.

my main q is about the wires, how much better are splitfire than bosch?

not splitfire!

I bought into the advertising and tried Splitfires in my '92 when I first got it. They made my engine ping like it was going out of style. Needless to say, I took advantage of the 30 day trial and took those six plugs right back to Pep Boys and put in Autolite copper plugs (Stock for the '92 engine were copper core).
I've heard mechanics say they prefer Autolite or Motorcraft in Ford engines, I wonder if the bad things you've heard about Autolite plugs were in relation to another manufacturer.
Edit: Sorry, I see now that you are talking about Splitfire wires, can't say good or bad about the wires. Didn't even know Splitfire made wires.

IF i cange out my plugs again, i might try motocraft platinums again.

Originally posted by udmsvt

my main q is about the wires, how much better are splitfire than bosch?

Yeah, I would run the Motorcraft plug your manual calls for. All the Fords I've been around have always been iffy with any other plug for some reason. On the other hand, my Buick, that car could take any old plug I put in it and run the same.

As far as wires go, I run Jacobs. Before that I ran stocker Motorcraft wires. I can't say I noticed any difference in performance. Maybe if I had the Jacobs ignition module to go with it...

Do a search here on "+4". This debate over plugs has gone on here for a while. IMHO, all the split electrode/multi electrode plugs are a gimmick and a waste of $$. The laws of electron flow state that electricity will always follow the path of least resistance, meaning that the spark may come from a different electrode each time, but you won't get multiple sparks. This means you won't get any additional spark or performance from the splitfires or +4's. IMHO, Most people that report improved performance are actually just feeling the difference that a new spark plug makes over a worn plug. Stick with the standard platinum plug for the X and you'll do fine.

motorcraft douple platinum. Stick with motorcraft....many have had bad expieriences with Bosch especially.

Back