• Register Today It's free!

Bosch wires and plugs ok?

niteshooter

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 5spd 4DR 4x4
I have a 1991 Explorer XLT that I bought new in 1990 with 400,000 km on the clock. It's not running rough but feels like I'm missing a cylinder. Has the usual Explorer ticking sound from the top end. I guess the best thing to do is a compression check and since I'm in that far might as well do the plugs and see if they show signs of a dead cylinder.

I did see the thread about throttle cables and will check that first just in case though I'm pretty sure I get a wiff of unburnt fuel coming from the tail pipe.

Also think I'm overdue on plugs and especially wires since my bills show I did the plugs 6 years ago at 330,000 km and not sure if the wires have ever been done! I thought they were done once though at the time the factory wires seemed rediculously expensive.

Anyhow, up here we don't have a lot of choices other than Canadian Tire and the dealer. I've had bad experiences with aftermarket spark plug wires on my 86 CJ-7 as only the factory wires seem to work well and last so was wondering if I need to stick with Autolite parts or can I use the Bosch parts?

Thanks.

Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have used the BOSCH wires and think they do a fine job they replaced JBA wires which caused some problems try buying the wires online and then having them installed somewhere check www.rockauto.com or www.ebay.com alot of explorer owners run Taylor wires I believe just search around the internet.

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Bosch/boschSprkPlgWires.htm
BOSCH Part # 09645 {WIRE SET #9645} More Info $22.79

wish mine where that cheap.

I've run bosch plugs in my 1st gen for 10+ years without any issues.

I'm running cheap AutoZone wires now with no problems. I would stay away from the +2 or +4 plugs. I've read about problems with them. Just your basic platinum tips from any manufacturer should be fine.

85Dave said:
I'm running cheap AutoZone wires now with no problems. I would stay away from the +2 or +4 plugs. I've read about problems with them. Just your basic platinum tips from any manufacturer should be fine.

Ok thanks, I went to a local parts store and picked up a set of Bosch wires and single tipped platinum plugs. Spent the rest of the afternoon putting on the new wires and plugs, get the feeling Ford installed all these bits and pieces before they slapped the motor into the truck!

Started the truck up after that and it seems to be running fine. Notice that I must have a stretched throttle cable so will have to do that fix as well.

Got five of six plugs and wires changed, looks like I'll have to get the truck over to a friends shop and get it up in the air so I can get at the rear passenger side plug and wire through the wheel well as my hand won't fit in from the top. Had lots of fun on the passenger side actually, drivers side was easy.

It was cheaper online but after shipping and brokerage fees up to Canada it works out about the same. Thanks for all the replies!

Kevin

Back