Brake Lights work, Tail Light Out, Dash Out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Lights work, Tail Light Out, Dash Out

RomeLaw

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2WD
So I bought a new tail light switch and the yielded nothing.

Interestingly, I believe the tail lights are under fuse 15 under the hood? That fuse seems (gone?)...it's loose and nonexistent. When i first bought the truck the Dash lights worked, although were a little dim. Now nothing. Brake Lights work and of course are on the same bulb. I cant figure out what gives.

Any thoughts?

Suddenly when I retrieved my car from valet parking the dashlights and the taillights were out. There is no fuse listed in the manual for either item.

They must be on the same circuit with the same protection but WHERE is it?

This is insane to not have it shown on the owners manuals fuse diagrams.

If I could get a wiring diagram on here I could find it.

Go online to download owners manual. On my 96, there is guide showing fuse #'s and what they control. I understand there is a difference between 95 and96, or I would tell you which one does what.

I bought a manual for the car and the fuse no is 3, which is ok but the thing is labelled in the owners manual only as parking lights.

I am now convinced it is the switch itself, as it doesn't feel normal, too much wiggle in it.

Ford wants $107 just for the switch itself. All fuses I have checked have been OK and used a meter to check them.

Back