Brake Master Cylinder Differences Explained (with Pictures and Math!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Master Cylinder Differences Explained (with Pictures and Math!)

I reread the thread, super helpful info! I'm going to order a proportioning valve, and a friend also said he felt a noticeable improvement with a residual valve so I'm trying that too. Just one question still though, you said some 2nd gens do have prop valves on the MC and some don't. For the ones that don't, how is the rear brake pressure regulated in a stock configuration? Through the ABS module?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done a couple of these swaps and have only had luck with is the 95 explorer master without cruise,without abs and with no proportioning valve( ive tried 5 different years and options)..

My explorer the rwabs is completely bypassed and my ranger still has the rwabs..the other 2 or 3 swaps ive done on first gens i left the rwabs intact. .all have GREAT brakes,never measured distance but its noticeably better..

Wow great thread. Giving a bump to see if there has been any other Booster or MC tried.

From what I understand here, it seems that first and second Gen boosters are the same. As the MC is able to interchange.

I think the 5.0 booster is a little larger as it draws less vac then the 4.0.

I think I looked up the part numbers on rock auto and they were the same

From what I understand here, it seems that first and second Gen boosters are the same. As the MC is able to interchange.

Just about every Ford master cylinder has the same size mounts, so its the MC, not the boosters. From what I understand, you can bolt a MC from a superduty to an Explorer booster.

Seems like there's pretty much a generic Ford bolt pattern when it comes to master cylinders. As long as you can get the pushrods adjusted to the right length, you should be able to use pretty much any MC with any booster.

The only downfall I found with using the larger diameter F-250 booster is that it interferes with the hood hinge a bit. Causes the hood on the driver's side near the windshield to sit up too high. Mines pretty much an off road only truck so I'm not too worried about it.

Back