Bronco II - worst car of all time? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II - worst car of all time?

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Forbes.com has an article on the worst cars of all time as they see it. Here's what they say:
Although many people loved them for their ruggedness, in the 1980s Ford's Bronco II sport utility practically invented the phrase "prone to rollovers." How bad did things get? The vehicle's drivers realized they probably shouldn't pilot the Bronco II up a steep hill; Ford's employees said as much in an inter-office memo that was circulated in 1986, according to the Center for Auto Safety. Ford sent out 288 service bulletins on the 1985 Bronco II alone; reading them spotlights a vehicle whose engines--and other major components, like alternators and ignition systems--failed often.

Editor's Note: Forbes.com was unable to obtain permission from Ford to use an image of a Bronco II from the 1983-1989 model years. The Bronco above is a 1980.
5_0126feat.jpg

I guess they figured the Bronco was "close enough" to the BII.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

figuring as the bII is a truck..and that pic is of a fullsize bronco not a bII...stupid *****..i really like the bII's my self

LOL...

Don't let 410 hear ya!:D

and what about 89-90? it's the same truck!

and didn't the B2 come out in '84?:rolleyes: I know rangers started in '83

LOL they cant even get the dang picture right, what morons:rolleyes:

and i dotn like bII's except a few, the lifted ones, like 410 and the oens that was in one of my 4 wheel magazines this month

PEACE

The first gen Broncos must have been up there too.

My brother in law had two!
A shoe box on wheels.
You could pour water on the floor boards and watch them rust through.

I also read Hemmings rates the first gen Broncos as a good investment to restore....go figure?

I had an 86 BII and it was a great little rig. People who attack this car for being too tippy obviously haven't driven one.:rolleyes:
I still miss that car, it was alot of fun to drive and 4 wheel. In terms of wheelin' the BII was better than the X because of the spring over axle and shorter wheelbase.

What is so wrong with the BII? I remember growing up my parents had a mid 80's model Eddie Bauer, although we never off roaded I remember it being a pretty good suv. We took that over to Pakistan with us at the time.

Later we had a Full Size Bronco...it was also a great SUV...back before SUV was a term and back when they were around $16K Fully Loaded and could be used as a true utility truck...who wants to use a $30K SUV to haul **** around :rolleyes:

I loved my 88' BII....But the darn thing died on me a few weeks ago. Don't know exactly what happend but oil was everywhere and I had to drive it without oil pressure about 1 mile to get out of traffic.

Well it's suicide allowed me to get my new toy a 00' EB X V8 AWD.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Forbes when it comes to reporting on the Automotive industry, unbiased isn't a term I'd use to describe them.

Hahaha well in stock form they are good for 200K miles or so one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned!! I wouldnt call it a car nor would I call it the worst car of all time!
BII's 1984-1990
full size Bronco was 78-96

The BII was not exactly the beast the Bronco nameplate represent's but Ford didnt have much choice with the new emissions requirements and gas crunch, the Bronco II is a RANGER for the most part. The Ranger is NEVER viewed as one of the worst vehicles of all time. IN fact just the opposite is true, the Ranger is viewed as one of the most reliable, economical, and long lasting vehicles ever built. So I guess if you put a BII body on a Ranger frame then its a turd. :)

Yes the BII rolls over easier then a Ranger, but its not like they flip over if touch them like they make it sound.

The BII is the underdog, I like that :) Its still a Bronco at heart........tough as nails, hella fun to drive, oh yeah and did somebody say they can go off road???

Ford is looking to make the BII mistake all over again with their new Bronco concept, I personally don't think the Escape platform deserves the Bronco nameplate, the Ranger platform maybe but not the Escape!! Come on FORD can't you hear Jeep laughing??? Jeeps have gotten BETTER for the most part, Ford's have gotten soccer mom friendly.......

You are right, the BII is the worst vehicle of all time, so you should sell me yours for next to nothing, I'll take it off your hands :)

Ahhhhhh!

410 found this your all in trouble now!:p

Don't let 410 hear ya!

I warned you all!:D

I've got a lifted BII with a ton of mods in it and I love it. Wouldn't sell it for anything and I haven't had any problems with it. As to rolling it those guys are smoking crack. I've got a 6" lift and never even come close to rolling it.

Here's some pics.
http://groups.msn.com/BroncoIIPicturesCBRPictures/shoebox.msnw

The complete list

AMC Pacer (1975-80)
Chevrolet Vega (1970-74)
Citroen SM (1970-72)
Fiat Strada (1978-88)
Ford Bronco II (1983-89)
Ford Edsel (1957-59)
Ford Pinto (1971-80)
Honda Accord hatchback (1978)
Mazda RX-2 (1971)
Oldsmobile Delta 88 (1979-84)
Pontiac Fiero (1984)
Renault Dauphine (1956-68)
Sachsenring Trabant (1957-62)
Yugo GV (1981-91)

As taken from http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4063790

As for me I had a 85 BII traded that for a 87 BII traded it for the X. Oh how I miss that 2.9L V6 (not really)

Hah, Ford has more cars on the list than any other make. Oh well, you win some you lose some :D

no Ranger made the list!
funny since its the same truck as the BII..

Confused..

So is the BII a decent truck. Little things that break down I can fix. I have a '91 X with a broken tranny. My in-law wants 500 bones for his '87 5-spd BII. It's funny, cause he just paid like 250-300 bucks for new tires, so I figure it's an ok deal ;)

What is it that is so bad about them, if anything?

Nothing's so bad about them. Much the same way that you wouldn't turn to Four Wheeler for tax advice, don't turn to Forbes for truck advice :)

I personally like the 89-90 BroncoII....It looks like a first gen X....but smaller. :D

Originally posted by sonik

5_0126feat.jpg

I guess they figured the Bronco was "close enough" to the BII.

No.... there was an editors note in there that says they couldnt get the permission from ford to use a picture of a bronco II from 83-89 model year. Also says that the picture above is a 1980 Bronco.

They arent nearly as stupid as you would think, but stupid none-the-less. the bronco II is an awesome little truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Crankcase!
I think you have that backwards!

The first Gen X looks like a Bronco!!! hahaha

I like the 88, last year of the bronco style grill and headlights :) but im a little partial

Back