Burns SAS thread | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i thought about that but i want to upgrade what i have. i think it is possible and i just need to find out.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You realize your basically reinventing the wheel right?

I can think of atleast 2 people who weekly ABUSE their d44's. one is running a full width d44 behind a built 350 and 3.55 gears with 38's. He beats on those things and runs NEW OEM parts and hasnt broken anything. He once broke a brand new driveshaft u-joint and replaced it with another new one, hasnt broken it since.

Some parts are just bad to start with

Think for a second, you break a 25 year old U joint and instead of replacing it and going on your way you go and decide the entire front axle is no longer good enough and want to drop big money into it. Replace the u-joint's and shafts with OEM and when something breaks you can take it and shove it up my ass.

Fine, whatever, its your truck and your money.

[/Rant]

Acually one more thing. A wise friend of mine said to me once, learn to wheel with what you've got before you go all crazy.

some parts are bad and old to start with however i think the upgrade will be good cause what on this site has attempted this. i also am not reventing the wheel i am reinventing the hybrid. i dont want to buy some kit and just install it. im a hands on person and love doing it myself. im not saying the whole axle is bad. u are missing my point. the dana 44 outter u joints is the weak point of the axle. the rest is fine to my info i have read. i want to find a fix for my self. yes i could buy some shafts and better joints but that is just the easy way out.

oh and one more thing. a wise friend of mine said to me once, overkill is better.

The fix is CTM's. But if your mind is made up then i say go for it. Just so you arent shocked, expect to spend $3-4k.

Fawk, I don't even really know why I'm encouraging this. I was just making a point.

Replace the joint. When you start snapping shafts, look at a D60.

lol I cant help but laugh at the thought process of broken ujoint = need a D60...I guess if he breaks a D60 ujoint he might as well jsut throw a Rockwell in the front since hes already gotta fix it anyway right? ;)

Like was said...replace the ujoint with something a little beefier, and wheel it. When you start breaking shafts, knuckles, etc...THEN think about a 60.

Just my .02

i emailed the guys at cmt and they said to call them and that they would tell me all i need to know about a d60/d44 conversoin. if it does not require a custom carrier i will really be looking into doing this. just to let u know i only have about $3000 im my sas swap to this date. i have not spent much money to start with. the thought process in this whole conversation is not "oh my i broke a d44 joint i must need a d60" the broke joint its already fixed. i did it this morn and have already given it a test run. oh and the rockwell comment if just plan makin fun

ya, it is making fun of you, but it follows your same thought path.

Well, I cant wait to see the outcome, should be sweet.

using ctm's (or any other high psi u-joint) on untreated 4340 shafts wont last long. The ears are too malleable, and sooner or later they'll get loose and you'll have the same problem again. then again if youre dropping the cash for superior shafts and ctms, a D60 in good shape isnt much more. If you're worried about clearance, check out the Rockcrushers http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp . All the stock stuff will bolt into it. Teraflex has some high clearance centersections but they're like $1000+, but unless you plan on wheeling in Beirut anytime soon, its not worth it. Theres really no end to what you can do to the axles. If you have any sort of budget, get superior shafts and ctm's. They hold up to a lot from what i've seen, and will pay for themselves in time. If money is no object, I reccomend portalled 404's.

I do agree with you on the overbuilding. I just got some 1-ton axles. I could've easily got a 44, but i figure all the work will be worth it in the long run. Crawling around in the mud trying to fix broken crap gets old quick :roll: . The less parts you have to worry about the more fun it is

just my .03

yeah i just want to overbuild and stay with this axle it came out of my dad uncles truck who passed away a few years ago. the family let us have the truck and it sat for a while and then i got the idea to sas. so it has a sort of value to me so i am gonna build it up. oh and sn0border88 u can just keep waiting

Burns said:
oh and sn0border88 u can just keep waiting

For christmas?

Just curious, if you converted to d60 outers and axle shafts, wouldnt you need to get some kind of custom length shafts? Im just wonderin if the length from a d44 carrier to knuckle is the same as a d60.

Listen, im not really trying to rag on you and the idea of an x with a d44/60 combo sounds really intresting and something I had neevr heard of before. Im just trying to understand the thought process here. It seemed like you got a little ahead of yourself because a 30 yr old U-joint falied under extreme conditions, but I guess youve got it all under control after all. If you just want to be original and have the budget then go for it. There arnt many X's running around here with a d60/609 combo. Acually, there arnt any. :D And even so, I can only think of one X with a 60 front. But if you want to save money, go with 4340 shafts and joints. Remeber, Either that way or with a d60 outers swap you are still moving the weak point to the center section, which if it failed would be alot more troublesome then a failed joint.

well i really just dont see that breaking. its all new and will be under the warranty for a while

I once saw a tracker shear a brand new richmond gear 5.13 pinion. A tracker. On 33's. Anythings possible.

R3dAlert said:
using ctm's (or any other high psi u-joint) on untreated 4340 shafts wont last long. The ears are too malleable, and sooner or later they'll get loose and you'll have the same problem again. then again if youre dropping the cash for superior shafts and ctms, a D60 in good shape isnt much more. If you're worried about clearance, check out the Rockcrushers http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp . All the stock stuff will bolt into it. Teraflex has some high clearance centersections but they're like $1000+, but unless you plan on wheeling in Beirut anytime soon, its not worth it. Theres really no end to what you can do to the axles. If you have any sort of budget, get superior shafts and ctm's. They hold up to a lot from what i've seen, and will pay for themselves in time. If money is no object, I reccomend portalled 404's.

I do agree with you on the overbuilding. I just got some 1-ton axles. I could've easily got a 44, but i figure all the work will be worth it in the long run. Crawling around in the mud trying to fix broken crap gets old quick :roll: . The less parts you have to worry about the more fun it is

just my .03

thanks this is the kinda info i was lookin for. i had a spare shaft and i got another joint and fixed it so its good for now. however i am really looking into a set of ctm joints and some stronger shafts i was looking with ctm and i really have not found much in the shaft dept. but i might have just overlooked them. im gonna try to call them and see what they have. the idea is still there because if i can figure out how to get the d60 stuff to fit i can get the d60 ctm joints and with the 36 have no worry

is there any other company that makes stronger shafts i know moser sells shafts but surely there is someone else.

also im looking into doin a hydro assist steering the only thing i am worried about is how to tackle the pump part of the setup :confused:

Yukon, Warn, Superior, Alloy USA, Moser, etc. all make shafts.

Moser has a warranty on there stuff that I read on their site somewhere. If you break 33 spline, they give you 35 spline. You break 35s, they give you 40 spline. You break 40 spline, you get another set of 40 splines. EDIT: Nevermind, just re-read it and they said that it will only apply for axles that are in street/drag cars that break due to excessive HP.

Superior also has a lifetime warranty.

I think alot of people who go hydro assit get some kind of aftermarket box (ARG, ect.) or use a yota box because they are so popular.

Back