Solved - CA Smog was at the limit last time, would disabling overdrive help? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved CA Smog was at the limit last time, would disabling overdrive help?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

With my new catalytic converter, the HC numbers are close to zero. However the long term fuel trim is 14 on both banks.

I checked the fuel pressure today and it was 1.7 bar (25 psi), both at moderate rpm and at idle. That's consistent with being short of fuel until the computer adds more.

Do you agree that I should change the fuel pump? I'm really not looking forward to that job. Amy tips?
25 psi is way too low, this thread is 4 pages deep and my memory doesn't go back that far. Have you replaced the fuel filter? As stated in post #55 you should be closer to 36 psi. As far as tips go, if you are not going to cut an access hole in the floor, run the tank dry before you drop it.

run the tank dry before you drop it.
siphon is usually the way to go! and as always make sure no spark cigars etc thats a great way to get vaporized

the plastic fuel line remover tools are a bit hard a metal one makes it a bit easier imo

Yes, I replaced the fuel filter about 5000 miles ago.

I rechecked the fuel pressure this morning with everything cold. It was 29 psi at idle, jumping to 37 psi when I removed the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator. That tells me the regulator is working and the pump is somewhat weak. The pump makes no discernible noise. 29 psi seems not too bad, but maybe the pump gets weaker after it runs a while?

My Long Term Fuel Trim is +14 to 15 but the engine is running well with ultra low HC emissions after I replaced the catalytic converter. I drive this vehicle less than 5000 miles a year.

I'm not sure it's worth the effort to replace the fuel pump, but I am willing to be persuaded.

Back