Cabin fuse box location / access | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cabin fuse box location / access

Can someone post a picture of the plastic cover removed? Its very tightly latched in place, even after removing the 2 screws. I dont want to break any plastic tabs so want to see it before I force it out. Tia!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the e-brake there is a tab that you need to pull hard on the corner of the panel. By the gas pedal, it is just tucked into the console side panel.

By the e-brake there is a tab that you need to pull hard on the corner of the panel. By the gas pedal, it is just tucked into the console side panel.

Stupid me, I was thinking it was the big plastic piece, not that small one low by one's feet. I did it. Thanks!

i had similar problems as everyone else with the mytouch system, so i disconnected the negative battery lead for a few minutes and restarted. everything works fine now. in the future i'll search for the fuse box (thanks to this forus, i finally know where it is...no thanks to the owner's manual), but in a pinch you can try the battery.

Interior fuse box access

First post! Have been lurking since Feb.

Will be picking up my 2016 Explorer tomorrow and plan on installing a dash cam. Did this on my son's Camry and it was a piece of cake to wire and fuse tap.

I've searched here (and SO many other sources) and can't find specific info on the cabin fuse box on a 2016. Supposedly its on the driver's side near the steering wheel. Even at the dealership I can't find it and I wasn't about to start pulling off pieces of dash plastic.

Have also read you have to be a contortionist to lay on the floor mat and try and get under the steering wheel. On my 2000 expedition it's a piece of cake to access. Is it really this challenging on a 2016 Expedition? Hopefully not.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Will be picking up my 2016 Explorer tomorrow and plan on installing a dash cam. Did this on my son's Camry and it was a piece of cake to wire and fuse tap.

I've searched here (and SO many other sources) and can't find specific info on the cabin fuse box on a 2016. Supposedly its on the driver's side near the steering wheel. Even at the dealership I can't find it and I wasn't about to start pulling off pieces of dash plastic.

Have also read you have to be a contortionist to lay on the floor mat and try and get under the steering wheel. On my 2000 expedition it's a piece of cake to access. Is it really this challenging on a 2016 Expedition? Hopefully not.

Getting access to the interior fuse box is somewhat of a pain. You are correct in locating the box, however there is a trim piece that needs to be removed under the steering wheel to access the box.

Looking under the steering wheel column you'll see the trim piece:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7wxSR8TOSpWUhTY0M2M29yaEE

Remove it by loosening the two bolts shown and take care in not breaking the locating tab:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7wxSR8TOSpSE1mVTdYc19YOHc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7wxSR8TOSpWDZjMl9kWXhzQlk

The trim piece should come right out and youll be able to see the fuse box close to the drivers door:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7wxSR8TOSpaVpaMHlMN3B2amc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7wxSR8TOSpTHdNTlNTdmRlYWc

Thanks BlueOval24, that is exactly the detail I was needing/seeking. Couldn't have asked for a better explanation and pics. Much appreciated.

Just looked under the dash of my 2016 Ex. It definitely ain't easy to see or get to the fuse block. It is really tucked up under there.

The owner's manual suggests pulling out the dash sub panel to access it. It 's supposed to be pretty easy to do. I haven't tried that yet, but I did pull just about every panel out of the back doing my 3rd row seat removal. If the sub panel comes out and goes in as easy as all of those, you should have no problem.

Since you are going to have to pull the dash side panel and a-pillar trim, get a set of plastic trim panel tools if you don't have one (~$10 at Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc.). Makes life real simple.

2016 fuse types

Anyone know the type of fuses (pic?) a 2016 Explorer uses? So many types out there and want to be sure I get the correct fuse tap for the dash cam we will eventually put in. Thanks.

Anyone know the type of fuses (pic?) a 2016 Explorer uses? So many types out there and want to be sure I get the correct fuse tap for the dash cam we will eventually put in. Thanks.
Did you look in the manual? There is a picture of a fuse there. I'm guessing that apart from the ratings, they are all the same type. Only a guess though. The ones in the engine compartment should be easy enough to check without having to twist yourself into a pretzel.:)

Peter

Did you look in the manual? There is a picture of a fuse there. I'm guessing that apart from the ratings, they are all the same type. Only a guess though. The ones in the engine compartment should be easy enough to check without having to twist yourself into a pretzel.:)

Peter

Actually, I did check the manual, but I'm not a big fan of trusting drawn images, especially when it comes to fuses. A drawing makes a mini fuse look quite similar to a micro 2 fuse (the blades) and if not drawn to scale might actually be a low profile mini.

The manual references the following types of fuses:
Micro fuse.
M-type fuse.
J-type fuse.
Dual micro fuse.

Since I have to order a specific type of fuse tap online, I'd prefer to see the actual fuse to ensure I'm ordering the correct part...from the interior fuse box. Eliminates all possibilities of ordering error.

My research on fuse types for the Explorer...
2d382948-59ff-4551-8097-0b7456ab6529_zpseij4ppen.jpg

Getting access to the interior fuse box is somewhat of a pain. You are correct in locating the box, however there is a trim piece that needs to be removed under the steering wheel to access the box.

Looking under the steering wheel column you'll see the trim piece:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7wxSR8TOSpWUhTY0M2M29yaEE

Remove it by loosening the two bolts shown and take care in not breaking the locating tab:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7wxSR8TOSpSE1mVTdYc19YOHc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7wxSR8TOSpWDZjMl9kWXhzQlk

The trim piece should come right out and youll be able to see the fuse box close to the drivers door:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7wxSR8TOSpTHdNTlNTdmRlYWc
Thanks. I just wasted an hour looking. Should have gone to the forum first!

I removed the two 7mm bolts in my attempt to tunnel my way to the fuse box.

Tried pulling the panel free from the tabs but afraid I might break it in half.

Any tricks to pulling this panel off after the 7mm bolts are removed on 2013 Explorer limited?

Btw, the 2017 Explorers use the very new Micro2 and Micro3 fuses and I couldn't find any fuse taps or even extra fuses at any of the common parts places. That, and in combination with the horrific placement of the fuse box, I wired my dash cam to the A-pillar. Apparently you can wire it to the sun roof / garage opening controls, but for whatever reason, we didn't. Path of least resistance.

I posted full instructions how I installed a front & rear dashcam for parking mode surveillance:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...dwire-install-ford-explorer-2011-2017.452075/

Where is the interior fuse panel 2014 Explorer? Did not see it under D/S area
Your thread has been merged with this existing one found by using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature.

Peter

lol.. this thread just highlights the stupidity of the engineers that designed the location for the panel that houses "user replaceable fuses"... I mean come on. I've never had a car that I had to bend my body 3 different ways to find the panel, and another 2 ways to actually be able to replace a fuse on.

Why isn't this panel under the plastic piece on the left side of the dash? There is plenty of room in there and you can actually access it without being a circus actor.

I feel sorry for anybody that is over 6'2", or over 250lbs... cause there's almost no way they are going to be able to get into a position to identify the correct fuse and pull it. And if they do, getting it back in is going to take a miracle.

I know!!! The fuse box placement must have been part of the engineering group that developed MFT!! :)
How to remove the top from the fuse box

How to remove the top from the fuse box
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that the fuse box in the cabin of a 5th generation Explorer maybe different than that found in the 4th generation. Is the one in your 2007 located in the same awkward position?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back