Wanted - Calliper Carrier - Front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Calliper Carrier - Front

Parts or services wanted

ihpj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 UK SOHC Explorer
Guys, I am in need of the above item, with one calliper sliding pin please. Any chance anyone is breaking an Ex. and has these parts available please?

I replaced the front pads on my Ex. today and noticed uneven wear between the axles. On the N/S/F the inner pad was worn down to around 3MM but the outer was 5MM - both evenly worn across the surface. O/S/F inner pad down to 4MM but the outer pad nearly worn right down to the backing material!

Had a quick look, nothing obvious; these were genuine EBC standard brake pads (so quality and manufacture not an issue). Spoke with Howard and and he opined it was likely to be seized slide pins.

Checking the N/S/F the upper slide was OK but the lower was seized solid :p On the O/S/F both were moving, but not as freely as would be expected. Of the ones that I could remove, I did so; cleaned them with emery paper and, as I only had WD40, used liberal amounts of that (sprayed some into the pin hole as well) and replaced the slide pins - they now were sliding beautifully and freely. Unfortunately I couldn't unsieze the seized pin but at least I was right to change my pads when I did!

Since I don't think I will be able to remove the sized slide pin, on Howard's suggestion, I'm going to replace the entire calliper carrier. So if anyone can help, please let me know!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

caliper mount

hi i can do the n/s/f.caliper mount for £15 inc P&P. cheers chris

Hi IHPJ,

might have similar problem, how do you get into seized pins? where are they located.

BTW my problem is within driver’s wheel, when press brakes and car just slowly goes I can hear a squeak, but it goes worse when doing reverse parking, going backwards with wheels turned to one side, more often when wheels fully turned, ie if I would go to do reverse counter clock wise turnaround,

sorry to use your thread, but since reading one, I thought maybe I can get some help as well,

thanks

ChrisQ, could you do it for a tenner please? If it helps, you are welcome to have my old carrier (with the seized pin) by return; you might be able to clean it up and sell it on?

Luis696 I reckon you might have a hub bearing that's on it's way out.

Its gonna cost you a fiver to send the knackered one back to Chris!!!!

caliper mount

hi guys
the mount is £10 + £5 for P&P. i dont want the old one back if its no good to you its no good to me.
cheers chris

Ihpj, thx a lot. BTW where is this sized pin located?

hi guys
the mount is £10 + £5 for P&P. i dont want the old one back if its no good to you its no good to me.
cheers chris

I see thats fine then. Any chance you could toss in two bolts used to affix the carrier to the hub as well as one good slide pin please?

Money via paypal.com in your account this evening!

EDIT: Money sent dude. Can't wait to fit the new carrier and get the brakes 100% :) )

caliper mount

no problem will sort out tomorrow and get in the post.cheers chris

Car booked in w/mechanic to sort out bracket - I'm now thinking I should check my rear brakes just to make sure they are OK :p

Visually inspected them and pad wear seems to be uniform (which wasn't the case on the fronts); but then again if it ain't broke and all that ;0)

Big thanks to ChrisQ for the part - WOO! Roll on delivery so I can get it sorted...

I'd honestly recommend rebuilding the calipers or getting remans. Figure 13 to 14 year old truck with probably original calipers.. Time to rebuild the seals & all..

Yeah I was thinking that myself and i think thats good advice. But having looked into it, the price is expensive. If my irregular pad wear isn't sorted by this then I'd look at getting the calipers refurb'd or replaced with known good ones.

When I replaced the pads/discs all round the existing set were examined and pad wear was regular and no issues identified. This has defo. happened within the last years and TBH if pads had worn uniformally, then I would have gotten around 5k miles more out of them minimum. Pads are only £33 a set (which is nothing) - so fingers crossed the slide pins were at fault.

ebay item; 250850148092.

Yeah I saw that, but I'll get mine from the USA when I'm out there over the Summer ;o)

I thought I would post up some pictures to show the state of my pads.

THIS picture shows the pads from the N/S/F calliper (the one with the stuck/seized slider pin. Pretty much uniform wear across the face of both pads. I was surprised to see how much meat was left on them.

THIS picture shows the O/S/F set and as you can see the pad nearest the shot is nearly worn to the metal while the inner pad has more life left. If the pads had worn with more consistency I think I could have gotten around 5K miles more life out of them. Glad I followed my instincts to change them when I did!

Having seen these pads, can anyone suggest why so uneven pad wear, especially given that the pad set on the N/S/F (which has the seized slider pin) have worn better than the O/S/F whose slider pins were relatively free moving?

how was it under braking? did it stop as it should, a cheaper option would be to replace the pads run them for a few months and have another look. pads are £30 labour to at garage loads more than that. Only do it if its stopping ok.
onetime

It stopped just fine, true and straight. Thats the alarming thing that if I only checked one side of my brakes or didn't do regular checks I would have missed the heavy wear on one side and be surprised when I trashed my O/S/F disc :p I dunno, I'm waiting on the calliper bracket to turn up and fit it. I'll keep an eye on things then and see what (if anything) happens.

Doing pad and disks are not hard and i think you can get both for about £50 at least i got some both sides for that ages ago for a p38 range rover took me all day only becasue i was tightening a bolt and not taking it off. DOH!! :mad:
The only real hard part is that you may need a impact wrench on the screw to hold the disk in, my explorer does not have this it is held on by the wheel nuts. I have know garages who cannot get the screw out drill it and let the wheels hold in in place. so not that bad really. hope this helps i would replace bits and wait a while.
cheers
Onetime

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the delivery about half an hor ago; thanks ChrisQ for the carrier and bolts!!

Back