Wanted - Calliper Carrier - Front | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Calliper Carrier - Front

Parts or services wanted
I see you have mentioned the trashing of the disc etc. I was thinking that maybe the carrier or pins had got slightly bent at that time and although it all went back together fine, it may have done enough skewing to cause the uneven wear.

So new carrier and slider bolts and this may cure all.

I have also seen on other marques where the frozen sliders have caused wear more so on the inboard pad.
Just a thought!!
Jan :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Jan,

Nonono....nothing was trashed. I got to the pads in time! Had I left it any longer, then I would have ended up scouring the disc. I like the theory on the (slightly bent) slider pins. I can't see any reason why the callers would be faulty; have spoken to Howard and he opines the calipers should be OK and also suggests the slider pins.

All slider pins have been cleaned with emery paper, regreased and new shims and slider pin boots fitted all round. ChrisQs replacement carrier will go on Monday and I'm hoping that'll be the end of my front brake issues :p

As an aside, I'm really liking these genuine Ford brake pads. Much better feel and they work better from cold. The standard EBC pads always squealed and were a tad lifeless.

Just to check, what grease did you use for the slider pins???
It needs to be a lithium soap based grease, if you use copper grease or other greases not for brakes then they will react with the boot rubber and also the heat will make them sticky and gum up

All sorted, Ex is back, thanks to ChrisQ for the parts.

And to reply to you Jan, it was WD40 - as thats all I had :p

Got to do the rear brakes sometime in the future. I'm hoping no seized slide pins there ;o)

And to reply to you Jan, it was WD40 - as thats all I had :p)

WD40 is totally insufficient as a brake pin lubricant - you could quickly have four seized up caliper pins. Strongly suggest that you get some true disc brake grease and re-lube those pins at your earliest opportunity.

I don't know how y'all afford to keep Explorer's running with your price of gasoline - though unfortunately we seem to be heading in the direction of finding out!!:mad:

I know WD40 is insufficient, but that's all I ad. The time :0(

I intend to buy THIS and regrease the pins. It'll also give me an idea how my we pads are doing.

As always, appreciate the input fellas!

I know WD40 is insufficient, but that's all I ad. The time :0(

I intend to buy THIS and regrease the pins. It'll also give me an idea how my we pads are doing.

As always, appreciate the input fellas!

Again i don't think that is the right stuff for the sliders. That appears to be similar stuff to copper grease but without any copper. Now i could be wrong but i would be wary of wether or not it would react with the rubber boot and/or clog up with heat.

do a search for red rubber grease as a lot of people use this on slider pins tho it is primarily for caliper and master cylinder assembly to protect the rubber seals and prevent ingress of moisture if item is to be stored for any time. I still prefer to use lithium grease and this is widely available from halfords, maplin, screwfix, motor factors, b&q etc.

Back