Camshaft Position Sensor Disconnected | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor Disconnected

1996 XLT V8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
hi, so I have an error code for the Camshaft Position Sensor. The car runs fine. When I disconnected the sensor, it doesn't make any difference and it RUNS good.

Is it ok to drive like that for a while?

Thanks,
vehicle: 1996 XLT V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try taking the sensor off to see what if it is just a bad sensor? There is amagnet that can come loose and or it can have a lot of rust buildup. I would not think it would hurt to run it like that, but I would fix it. I guess worst case would be the synchronizer is damaged and you could lose oil pressure since the synch dives the oil pump

thanks for suggestions. Basically when the car runs, and the CPS connector is disconnected, it runs the same, so I'm sure it's a bad sensor because of the P0340 Code. Still drives great but I guess it's not a good idea to drive around like that.

I also forgot to mention that the alternator is making a whining noise; as RPM increases, the noise is louder, the alternator still works though.

I also forgot to mention that the alternator is making a whining noise; as RPM increases, the noise is louder, the alternator still works though.

probably a bad bearing... When they get dry they make all sorts of fun noises from chirping to squealing to whirring. As long as she spins nicely don't worry about it. Take the belt off and ensure there's no impressive amounts of play in it.

probably a bad bearing... When they get dry they make all sorts of fun noises from chirping to squealing to whirring. As long as she spins nicely don't worry about it. Take the belt off and ensure there's no impressive amounts of play in it.

yes most likely it's dry it's my second 96 xlt v8 but this one has only 162000miles and those rubber bushings squeal everytime you turn the wheel but it drivers nice though. thx for info.

A bad alternator, that outputs less than 14V, will lead to false readings from the CMP.
It happened to me, code cleared when I replaced the alternator.

Have you pulled the sensor cap off to look?

The alternator noise issue occurs in 99-01. Don't speculate until you check out the sensor.

Have you pulled the sensor cap off to look?

The alternator noise issue occurs in 99-01. Don't speculate until you check out the sensor.

not yet, but will do that, hesitating a bit because I haven't researched how to align it back to the original position. Thanks.

use a 5.5 mm socket on a swivel head and a long 1/4" drive extension to remove the sensor cap. It only goes back on one way--;) Should take 5 minutes tops.

You do not need to remove the drive unit to check the sensor.

use a 5.5 mm socket on a swivel head and a long 1/4" drive extension to remove the sensor cap. It only goes back on one way--;) Should take 5 minutes tops.

this will be the next thing I'll do soon, I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Wow..I removed the sensor cap and what I saw is not impressive. The metal bolt in the middle that sticks out is kinda crushed and seems melted (the metal part of it), but it spins, and the sensor was all rusty and dirty inside.

Basically the sensor doesn't work now, but the car drives OK. Only "very" slight vibration when idling and in D.

Does anyone have any idea why the car would still RUN fine? I haven't posted photos of the damage, but is the camshaft synchronizer BAD?
Thanks for input.

Is there a protruding "flag" on the part that spins?

A picture of the inside will help

ok I will recheck that and post photo but again, the car runs well, doesn't hesitate, nothing, it only has "extremely" slight hiccup when it's in D gear (while stopping at the light for instance)

I'm not driving high RPMs until it gets fixed (3k max) just to be safe, but again reading other posts I found that even the bad sensor alone causes problems and rough driving; that is why I'm surprised. I'll post photos soon, thanks.

Back