Photo Please 1996 Explorer XLT Camshaft Position Sensor 4.0L OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Photo Please 1996 Explorer XLT Camshaft Position Sensor 4.0L OHV

pmonahan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
I have a 96 Explorer XLT with 470K on the motor. Hoping to hit a half million. OBDII code shows a camshaft position sensor failure.

Does anyone have a photo of the camshaft position sensor AND location in the vehicle ? All other posts in the forum with this subject matter have broken image links.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll see it once you remove the upper plenum. It's hidden pretty well, hard to get a picture.

Plan on new upper intake gaskets, and injector o rings because you'll be in that deep. Chances are the sensor itself just needs changed, and the drive unit might be ok.

I have a 96 Explorer XLT with 470K on the motor. Hoping to hit a half million. OBDII code shows a camshaft position sensor failure.

Does anyone have a photo of the camshaft position sensor AND location in the vehicle ? All other posts in the forum with this subject matter have broken image links.

Thanks

@pmonahan

Here's a link to 2 write ups with working pics.

If you're lucky, only the "cap and rotor" will need to be replaced.

But with 470K on the engine, I think there's a good chance you might be going a bit deeper, possibly having to change the entire assembly.

In short, the assembly body is made of aluminum, and the shaft that goes through it is steel.

Due to heat collecting at the back of the engine compartment, over the years, the oil tends to "coke" within the "heated" assembly body. As the "coke" increases, lubrication decreases to the point where eventually you'll hear a "chirping noise" under the hood, followed by catastrophic failure. The chirping noise is the sound of the steel shaft sticking within the assembly body due to the heavy "coking", and then breaking free.

Here's the kicker; If the assembly needs to be replaced, they can be VERY HARD to remove...

I recommend the hood be removed (4 bolts) and a slide hammer type tool to get 'em out.

@410Fortune might chime in on this - he made a tool - but it can STILL BE AN EXERCISE even with the tool and the experience...

The topic used to be quite common, when these beasts were going through their second and third owner.

In closing, ChiCom replacement assemblies are NOT recommended due to sizing issues. You'd be better off finding a rebuilt FORD assembly which will require some work on Google...

Hope this info helps - let us know how it works out!

Link 1: 1996 Explorer Sport 4.0L OHV Camshaft syncronizer positioning

Link 2: Camshaft Position Sensor replacement--a bit of discussion

Thanks
You Did not state which engine you have.
I replace my sensor without removing the manifold.
I have v6 ohv, see writeup. You can modify it too work with the v8. Can CMP Synch be changed with engine in place (4.0 OHV)?
I see your synch is different. You need the alignment tool.

You Did not state which engine you have.
I replace my sensor without removing the manifold.
I have v6 ohv, see writeup. You can modify it too work with the v8. Can CMP Synch be changed with engine in place (4.0 OHV)?
I see your synch is different. You need the alignment tool.
The CMP sensor provides the camshaft position information, called the CMP signal, which is used by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for fuel synchronization.
1991-93 2.3L and 1991-95 4.0L (VIN X) engines did not use CMP sensors.
1994 2.3L California only and 1995-99 2.3L and 2.5L engines utilize CMP sensors. The 1994 CMP is located on the oil pump drive assembly, on the left-hand lower side of the engine block. 1995-99 models CMP sensor is located and triggered by the auxiliary shaft drive sprocket.
On the 1991-94 2.9L and 3.0L engine, the distributor stator is the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor, and it is a Hall effect magnetic switch. On the 1995-99 3.0L engine, the CMP is mounted on the oil pump drive assembly, located towards the rear of the block. it is also a single hall effect magnetic switch and it is activated by a single vane, and is driven by the camshaft.
Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor used on the 2.3L and 2.5L engine-except 1994 California
8968 images-89684g21
Click to EnlargeOil pump drive mounted CMP sensor used on 3.0L, 4.0L and 5.0L engines and 1994 California 2.3L engines
8968 images-89684G22
Click to Enlarge
On the 4.0L SOHC engine (VIN E), the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor is a variable reluctance sensor, which is triggered by the high-point mark on the left-hand camshaft. It is mounted to the valve cover.
The 4.0L and 5.0L engines use a separate CMP sensor mounted to the oil pump drive. The drive assembly is located toward the rear of the engine on the 4.0L, and towards the front on the 5.0L engine.

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor — 3.0L, 4.0L, 5.0L​

SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED
DescriptionTool Number
Syncro Positioning Tool — 3.0L, 4.0L​
T95T-12200-A​
Syncro Positioning Tool — 5.0L​
T96T-12200-A​

CAUTION

CAUTION: Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A (3.0L, 4.0L) or T96T-12200-A (5.0L) must be obtained prior to installation of the replacement synchronizer assembly. Failure to follow this procedure will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine (6007), possibly causing engine damage.

CAUTION

CAUTION: Prior to the removal of the camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor) (12A112), set No. 1 cylinder to 0 degrees top dead center (TDC) of compression stroke. Then note the position of the camshaft position sensor electrical connector. The installation procedure requires that the electrical connector be located in the same position.

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301).
  1. Disconnect fuel charging wiring electrical connector from camshaft position sensor.
  1. Remove the CMP sensor screws and camshaft position sensor from camshaft synchronizer.

CAUTION

CAUTION: Do not move crankshaft (6303) until entire installation procedure is complete. Doing so will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine resulting in possible emissions fault.

NOTE

NOTE: If camshaft synchronizer is to be removed from the cylinder block (6010), proceed with Step 4. If the camshaft synchronizer is not being removed, proceed to installation Step 8.
  1. Remove hold-down clamp (12270).
  1. Remove camshaft synchronizer from cylinder block.

Installation

1. Attach Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A (3.0L, 4.0L) or T96T-12200-A (5.0L).
    Camshaft Synchronizer — 3.0L, 4.0L
    Ford STK-V10061B
    Click to EnlargeCamshaft Synchronizer — 5.0L
    Ford STK-A22881A
    Click to Enlarge
  1. Align the synchronizer vane with the radial slot of the Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A (3.0L) or T96T-12200A (5.0L).
  1. Rotate the tool on the synchronizer base until the tool's boss engages the base notch.
  1. Dip gear end into ESE-M2C123-A oil or equivalent to coat gear, thrust washer and lower bearing.
Syncro Positioning Tool — 3.0L, 4.0L

Ford STK-V10062C
Click to Enlarge

1. CAUTION
    CAUTION: Do not rotate crankshaft when syncro positioning tool is on the camshaft synchronizer. Armature tab will be damaged and synchronizer timing may be shifted.

Good pic of a 96 cam synch on ohv 4.0

Good thread on this

Attachments

• B2C37138-3540-439B-A7B5-715525A898E6.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 16

Back