Camshaft Position Sensor problem!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor problem!!

2kv8

Reaction score
City, State
Belmont, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT V-8
Today I was on my way to my parents to wish my mother a happy mothers day. On my way up I stopped at the gas station (Go Mart) which is about 3 miles from my house to fill up. After I filled up and got back in the Explorer to start it up I noticed a wierd sound coming from under the hood. So I pulled up to a parking spot and popped the hood. Once under the hood I noticed a funny smell kind of like a pool water smell, something to that effect. While driving back to my house I noticed that the truck was spitting and sputtering as if it had water in the gas. I hooked up my Auto-Xray to the X and the code "P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction". We got in the wifes' car and went to Autozone and bought a new sensor ($32.99), came home and installed the new one after disconnecting the battery. Once reinstalled I took the truck for a spin and the same thing happened. WTF!!! So I cleared the code AGAIN and thought maybe it needs to relearn everything since the battery was disconnected. WRONG!!! I drove the X for about 20 miles back and forth with still the same problems. The Explorer is a 2000 V-8 with about 81,950 miles. I am going to replace the fuel filter to see if that helps tommorrow.

Does anyone have any ideas what the hell might be wrong? I am ready to pull my hair out trying to figure this damn thing out. Someone help me please.

Check for voltage across the sensor.

Back