• Register Today It's free!

Can't find PCV valve

chuckwagon101

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer sport
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport....SOHC .....4 wheel drive.....6 cyl.

There is a "nipple" on the passenger side valve cover toward the front that has a hose on it leading to the air intake apparatus.....but there is no pcv valve to be seen.

The auto book says it is in the valve cover near the brake booster but that is on the driver's side and there is no valve there either.

Any help?

Thanks, Chuckwagon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its on the back of the motor by the firewall, and it is pretty miserable to get to.

changing that sucker is a real PITA. especially once the hose it plugs into is old a stiff.

PCV Valve photo

I accessed mine from the passenger side but it wasn't easy and I broke the flimsy support that attached it to the upper intake manifold.
VALVE.JPG

I had bought the materials to do SR2K's PVC mod and somehow miraculously found a way to get the old one out and a new one in without the mod. Lots of naughty words and skinned knuckles, tho. It's a real PITA. I don't anticipate changing it again. Ever.

I have 285K on my 5.0 and the PCV valve has never been changed. :eek: I have tried a couple of times and never gotten close to even touching it. Hate not doing it, but I am unwilling to remove all the intake stuff just to get to it, and nothing else has failed that necessitates removing those pieces. :(

yeah, the SOHC's PCV is a PITA to change. the v8's are nearly impossible. i'm thinking about removing the hood to see if that will allow access.

If removing the hood works, let me know and I'll take another swing at mine. Even better - I'll bring it by and let you do it once you have all that experience!!:D

I have a question

Is there a way to CHECK that the PCV valve is working besides taking it off and "shaking" it?

Is it possible to take off one of the two hoses that go to it....at the TOP of the engine and see if there is SUCTION....NO SUCTION....AIR FORCED OUT.....AIR NOT FORCED OUT......or just what?

If I disconnect one of those hoses while the engine is running....what should I "look for", "feel for" or "listen for" that would tell me if the PVC valve is OK or NOT OK?

Thank you, Chuckwagon

there are 2 small hoses that "T" into the PCV valve. one goes to each side of the intake plenum. i've never tried it, but i suppose if you disconnect both of them at the manifold, plug one and suck/blow on the other it would have the same effect as rattling it. i'll bet the hose will taste yummy too.

there are 2 small hoses that "T" into the PCV valve. one goes to each side of the intake plenum. i've never tried it, but i suppose if you disconnect both of them at the manifold, plug one and suck/blow on the other it would have the same effect as rattling it. i'll bet the hose will taste yummy too.

Koda, thanks for that advice but.....I pass!

Instead, I am going to TRACK DOWN the guy responsible for putting that PCV valve in that location. Then I am going to SQUEEZE him into that same space! :D

How about pulling the hose off the inlet side where it comes from the breather assembly?

This should be where fresh air is drawn into the crankcase.

No suction there = PCV valve plugged?

Might not taste as bad either if you try to blow through it.

Koda, thanks for that advice but.....I pass!

Instead, I am going to TRACK DOWN the guy responsible for putting that PCV valve in that location. Then I am going to SQUEEZE him into that same space! :D

Chuckwagon,

The guy you are looking for goes by the name of "They". "They want it now". "They want an answer" I've been hunting him too. You find him let me know.:D

Been looking here, haven't seen him yet. I'll be the first to post an alert, reward not necessary. ;)

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted

Ratz!!!!!

How about pulling the hose off the inlet side where it comes from the breather assembly?

This should be where fresh air is drawn into the crankcase.

No suction there = PCV valve plugged?

Might not taste as bad either if you try to blow through it.

Here is what I did: I pulled the hose off the breather assembly with the vehicle running. Engine STOPPED DEAD COLD IN IT'S TRACKS!

Ohhhh-kayyyy! I switched off the ignition and then stopped up the opening at the breather assemble. I then cranked the engine and it ran. .......kinda rough at first but then smoothed out somewhat.

Then I tested for suction on the hose that leads to the PCV valve. There was TREMENDOUS suction on this hose!

Next....I put everything back the way it is supposed to be.

Conclusion............Does the great amount of suction on the hose coming from the PCV valve mean that it is operating the way it is supposed to operate? In other words......is the PCV valve GOOD TO GO?

Thanks, Chuckwagon

PS...I am still going to find that design technician!:thumbsup::D

breather assembly

Is this what you mean by breather assembly?
breather.jpg

The crankcase ventilation flow is shown below.

MAF sensor > passenger valve cover port > crankcase > breather > PCV valve > upper intake manifold

Disconnecting the hose from the breather allowed unrestricted, unmetered air to enter the intake manifold causing a too lean condition for the engine to idle. If you have a hand vacuum pump you could connect it to the hose end disconnected from the breather to test for reverse flow in the PCV valve. Or, I think if you left the hose to the breather disconnected, disconnected both hoses from the PCV valve at the upper intake manifold, plugged one of the hoses and blew into the other one that would test the PCV check valve. There should be restricted flow in that direction. I've never tried either method and could be wrong.

Is this what you mean by breather assembly?
View attachment 80358

No, it was not that....it was the upper manifold.

I gave up on it. I shot a few squirts of PB BLASTER into the hose that goes to the PCV valve....buttoned it up and that's it for me. It runs smooth and steady.

There was nothing wrong with the vehicle before I started this thread, I just wanted to find that PCV valve.

Thanks for all the posts, I finally know where it is.....even though I could never change it out if there was anything wrong with it. My mechanical skills and patience will not allow for it!:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport....SOHC .....4 wheel drive.....6 cyl.

There is a "nipple" on the passenger side valve cover toward the front that has a hose on it leading to the air intake apparatus.....but there is no pcv valve to be seen.

The auto book says it is in the valve cover near the brake booster but that is on the driver's side and there is no valve there either.

Any help?

Thanks, Chuckwagon
REAL SOLITION 2024 Jan
This is the part after searching YouTube comments
I’m thankful for all the help. Wasn’t my question in the forum but I looked hard.
Ford explorer 2001 SOHC… that part

Back