• Register Today It's free!

Car dolly

Derrickmd18

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore md
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ford explorer
Found a 2 wheel car dolly for cheap and wanted to know if my 95 ford explorer 4.0 ohv rear wheel drive can tow a car? I'm making a drag racing car so need to tow it to and from the track.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as you're using a frame mounted hitch you shouldn't have any problem. Especially since a tow dolly doesn't put much downward weight on the rear of the truck.

A quick Google search shows that the towing capacity of a 95 Explorer is 3,500 pounds. A car dolly weighs roughly 600-700 pounds, so as long as the car weighs less than 2800 lbs, you should be able to tow it with the Explorer.

A quick Google search shows that the towing capacity of a 95 Explorer is 3,500 pounds. A car dolly weighs roughly 600-700 pounds, so as long as the car weighs less than 2800 lbs, you should be able to tow it with the Explorer.

I think the capacity is higher than 3500 on a frame mounted hitch. Check your owner's manual if in doubt.

first off... ymmv.

I have a 98 ford explorer with a frame mounted class III hitch. The specs for it are 6000lbs towing with a 600lb tongue wieght. My engine/gearing combination checks out at slightly lower ~5600 pounds because i have the 4.0 SOHC AWD with 3.73 gearing. The 5.0 motor would have given me over 6000lbs of vehicle capacity.

http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/spec1998.htm

This page was valuable for helping me figure out what was vehicle appropriate for my situation. As a result i have towed a full double axle trailer with a 1974 Jeep CJ5 (V8 with 33 inch tires) from NC to Florida with no issues. I weighed the trailer/Jeep combo at an interstate truck stop at just over 3900lbs and with my careful loading and balancing of the jeep weight on the trailer fore and aft of the trailer axle shafts it had a mild tongue weight of under 300lb's. I still use the same setup to tow the Jeep around Florida to various events with no issues.

Please consult your vehicles specifics for engine/transmission/axle ratios to determine what you can successfully tow. Then buy an appropriately sized hitch system (likely class III frame mounted) for your specific needs and enjoy the even lower gas mileage.

just to be clear any towing system is limited by the lowest performing link. My hitch is rated as 6000lbs but my vehicle engine/trans/axle can only do 5600lbs at most. So i am not safely able to tow more than the weakest link which is 5600lbs

Back