Towing using a tow dolly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing using a tow dolly

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
Can I tow a auto trans RWD Explorer in neutral using a tow dolly w/out removing the drive shaft? I'm pretty sure I can't, but I figured I'd ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I tow a auto trans RWD Explorer in neutral using a tow dolly w/out removing the drive shaft? I'm pretty sure I can't, but I figured I'd ask.

In doing some checking on-line, as I thought, you need to remove the driveshaft if you tow with the rear wheels on the ground so as to not damage the transmission. If you remove the driveshaft trans oil would be leaking out as long as the d/s yoke was removed. There are plastic driveshaft yoke plugs (I have one for a Chevy TH350 trans, but I don't know if this would be the same size as the Ford trans).

It is apparently possible to put the rear wheels on the tow dolly and tow that way, but it seems to me in order to do this safely you'd need to me able lock the steering wheel with the wheels straight ahead. This seems like it would be a little sketchy to me.

I’d just duct tape the yoke into place.

I suspect that article was written by someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about. Saying leaving the driveshaft in can damage the engine since the oil isn’t being circulated......

I suspect that article was written by someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about. Saying leaving the driveshaft in can damage the engine since the oil isn’t being circulated......

oops,your right, I read it quick and missed that part.

I’d just duct tape the yoke into place.

Assuming you have a spare yoke or plug. I also thought about unbolting the driveshaft, leaving it in the trans and holding it out of the way with a ratchet strap... still seems sketchy.

Why wouldn’t you just pop the U joint out of the shaft or yoke?

Why wouldn’t you just pop the U joint out of the shaft or yoke?

Seems like a lot of trouble. I'd be 50 miles from home working in someone's driveway (assuming they'd let me) laying in possible mud. It's been pouring for a week straight in GA and it not predicted to stop raining until Sunday. I used to use my daughter's AAA for this sort of thing, but she now lives in FL.

If I buy this vehicle I'll need a better plan, like a flatbed tow.

I don’t see it as any more trouble than pulling the driveshaft off the rear yoke. Flatbed shouldn’t be more than $150 I’d think.

I don’t see it as any more trouble than pulling the driveshaft off the rear yoke. Flatbed shouldn’t be more than $150 I’d think.

Seller hasn't returned my phone call or responded to an email, so it might all be a moot point.

Ive towed a lot of cars with a tow dolly. For RWD cars, placing the front end of the car on the dolly and leaving the rear wheel on the gorund is the most stable, most of the weight in on the dolly wheels, helps prevent swaying. Now, for automatic transmission cars, all I do is remove the driveshaft from the differential and leave the other end (yoke) in the transmission so as not to loose fluid, I use a ratchet strap to secure the free end of the driveshaft to the under body of the car/truck, making sure it is not going to come out of the transmission while driving down the road. Never had a problem!

Back