• Register Today It's free!

Towing a car...Need Overdrive On?

lrlima

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
Helping may brother move and I'll be towing a jeep for him about 250 miles. I'll be using one of those car dollys. I have a 96 5.0 with a factory tranny cooler. I pull a 3000 lb boat with it, but never with OD on and not very far.

I know the jeep on a dolly cant wiegh much, but should I keep the OD off while running highway speeds?

lrlima said:
Helping may brother move and I'll be towing a jeep for him about 250 miles. I'll be using one of those car dollys. I have a 96 5.0 with a factory tranny cooler. I pull a 3000 lb boat with it, but never with OD on and not very far.

I know the jeep on a dolly cant wiegh much, but should I keep the OD off while running highway speeds?

Yes. I've towed a Samurai behind my '01 Explorer many times, and even with a lightweight vehicle like the Zuk, the tranny would regularly drop in and out of OD. Turn the OD off. You may use a little more gas, but it will be much easier on your tranny.

I agree with him. I never tow anything in OD (unless its a very small weight). Automatic transmission with OD are fragile to some extent. The OD part anyway.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be keeping it off...

Back