Carb/Fuel Injection Questions

RFR2212

Typing Police
Reaction score
City, State
In the mug by Chitown
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 JEEP Wrangler
Alright, so I've got myself a 91 explorer sport, and over the last summer I dropped in a 302. I originally planned fuel injection, as I got a complete 302 HO 5.0 motor from a totaled mustang. Well school approached quickly, and that is where alot of my work stopped. Even with the manuals, the wiring is a fawkin *****. Now, plans are to continue work on the truck in summer, and recently I've been tossin around ideas of going carburated. Sure FI would be nice, but the 4x4 mags have had some good tests on carbs and this stirred my thoughts... So, does anyone know, if it's possible to take my 90 5.0 motor, and get a new intake and carb and other little goodies... Or is there somethin I'm completely over looking? Also, I'm not totally knowledgable on carbs and what not, so I've brought my questions to y'all.
Thanks!
Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't have a problem swapping to a carb, but you will need several new parts (beside the intake and carb) for it to work. I'll list what I can think of off hand, but I'm sure there will be more:
1. Distributor and ignition module (pre-EEC)
2. Fuel pressure regulator (carb only needs 7-10psi)
3. guages (possibly, since some stock sending units feed the computer and the computer feeds the guage)
4. throtle linkage
5. kick down linkage (if using an auto tranny)
6. if using an auto it can't be an AODE or E4OD since they need a computer to opperate.
7. Wireing for ignition and charging system
8. I'm sure there's more

If you do go with a carb, depending on your tranny make sure you get the throttle valve stuff done right, if it has it. I know guys that put AOD's in and didn't setup the TV cable right, and the tranny was shot REAL quick.

Originally posted by mrboyle

6. if using an auto it can't be an AODE or E4OD since they need a computer to opperate.

I believe Baumann Engineering (not sure though) makes the stand-alone setup to run an AODE in a non-computer car... I'm not sure about the manufacturer, but I'm 100% postive that the kit exists to allow the install of an AODE w/o a factory computer. Although I'm not quite sure it'd be worth it, other than the fact you can dial in shift points and such with a 'puter.

Well I've got a T-5 WC... so that's not a problem... Four Wheeler had a test on a Edelbrock and they said they had a jeep nearly on it's front and rear bumpers with the carb and it kept running... sounds good to me, especially since I don't plan on bein on my bumpers!
Pete

The Edelbrock carb would be a good choice, thats what I run on my Mach 1. Much easier to dial in and hold a tune better than the Holley it replaced. The fuel bowls are on the sides and the floats are in the center of the bowls, so like you said you should be able to take it to some pretty hard angles and still maintain the right fuel level. You'll need to drop the fuel pressure down like the other poster said, and finding a distributor should be a piece of cake since there's TONS available for the 5.0/302/289/260/351W's... I personally have a Mallory Unilite, its VERY nice. The biggest project will be the throttle linkage, since Explorers never had carbs. Maybe you could use a Mustang or a Ranger one and manhandle it to fit right. Just make sure that the linkage on the carb has its full sweep, otherwise you'll never use the carb to its full potential. Good luck!

Well, the only part I wasn't sure about, is which manifold.. I think I found a Edelbrock Performer, for mid 80's 302s that have an EGR system... and my motor as well, has an egr system
Pete

You can go with a manifold with a boss for the EGR system, or you could go for an EGR spacer... Edelbrock makes one, checked the part # and it is 8053, 4 barrel EGR adapter plate. 60 clams from Summit, its a universal sorta deal, so you can run any kind of manifold you want on the engine, depending on what kind of RPM range you're lookin' at. If it was me, honestly, I'd just block off the EGR port by getting something fabbed out of a piece of steel and forget about it. Course I live in WV, no emissions test to speak of, and I hate farting with emissions systems. Good luck!

PS- Don't know how common a problem it is with carb+EGR, but my Dad bought a 73 Mustang new back in the day, which had an EGR system. Said it made his car run horrible, constantly backfiring through the carb, no matter what the timing or fuel mix was... He yanked the EGR spacer and slapped the carb back on, problem solved, no more backfiring.

Back