• Register Today It's free!

Cat Removal

sloxploder

Reaction score
City, State
Smithfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could remove the Cats off of my 98 Explorer SOHC. Im pretty sure that the Engine control system is OBD-II, so is there an 02 sensor after the cats to measure their efficiency, or is that just brand specific and not a feature of OBD-II. I havent gotten under there and looked. Also, does anyone have the true dual configuration from the factory, with 2 seperate pipes w/ cats coming off the manifolds, and then dumping into a 2 into 1 stock muffler. Ive been looking for an exhaust for it, but no luck so far, guess itll have to be custom, but I want it to be stainless though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you trying to achieve by removing the cats? Removing the cats is illegal. Your SOHC will have 2 separate pipes with cats going into the single stock muffler, factory never came with dual exhuast. I guess I don't get what you're asking.

It does use the OBD-II though.

keep your cats, the lack of backpressure with exhaust will kill you n performance. Flowmaster and magnaflow make special dual in, single out mufflers for your application. Then just take it to a shop to get welded up

I want better exhuast flow, but now that I think, about it, removing too much backpressure will decrease low end. Maybe high flows are a better answer, but no cats is cheaper that high flows, and i have a welder now so i can do it myself. I can get pipe for free. The fact that its illegal means nothing to me (no smog sniffers). I just got up under there and looked, and there are 2 seperate pipes coming off the manifolds w 2 cats on each pipe, totally seperate, theres not even an h pipe. And it appears to be stock, but I did buy it used, so who knows, but I asked the guy at my muffler shop who installed my flowmaster if it was stock, and he'd never seen that configuration before, but it looked stock to him. Maybe I'll get under there and take some photos and post them, so you all can see for yourselves. I'd really like to have some light shed on this.

Sorry boominexplorer, Didnt mean to repeat what you just said, i was typing while you posted

yeah sohc's have the duals until the muffler where it goes single. I am going through my ASE cert's here in Va and we WILL have smog within a year or two. just do like a catback exhaust then decide if you want to loose more low end but gain more up high.

Damn, thanks for the warning, well, scrap that idea, oh well.

Northern VA already has smog test I believe. I heard Richmond is next. Wouldn't doubt it. But I think we are right on the brim of where we should be on smog, we just haven't passed it yet. Good thing I'll be a state inspector by then.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB00 said:
Good thing I'll be a state inspector by then.

-Drew

by the end of febuary??? ;)

haha no, Chris - I'm not as privledged as you. By the way, nice job on Leetz Truck!

Back