CEL not coming on at startup?

silverbackp

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
Hi all,
I just bought a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS and didn't realize the check engine light was not working properly until we got home- bad news? Could this be just a burned out bulb? All of the other stuff on the instrument panel light up just fine.
I'm sure it won't pass smog becuase of that either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for all your help in advance.

silverbackp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At first i thought it would be just a bulb, too. But i went and looked at my dash lights again and i see that none of my warning lights are coming on. So there is no momentary seatbelt light, abs light, or check engine light. They are supposed to come for a moment. I thought it was just my CEL,but its all the warning lights. Could it be a fuse? HelP!!

i would to to a parts store like autozone, and make sure there are no codes stored. if they can't connect though, thats a bad thing. GEM either has a loose connection, bad fuse, or bad connection.

If you bought this from a car lot, I'd take it back and tell them to let you know when it's working. I'm not sure of Nevada state laws, but I can't imagine it's legal to sell a car where all emissions systems (including CEL) aren't operating.

The CEL, seatbelt, and ABS indicators are all powered from #11 in the dash fusebox. However, #11 also powers the fuel level, voltmeter, coolant temp, oil pressure gauges and tachometer among other things. So, if those gauges are working, you'll need to look somewhere else besides #11.

Yes, it could be that the indicator bulbs are coincidentally all bad but ... to be honest ... it sounds suspicious that those 3 warning indicators are all inop in a used vehicle. Call me paranoid but I suspect tampering with the bulbs to conceal other problems.

it sounds suspicious that those 3 warning indicators are all inop in a used vehicle. Call me paranoid but I suspect tampering with the bulbs to conceal other problems.

And that's fraud. Law Enforcement folks really get excited when things like this and odometers are tampered with.

Thanks for all your input. I am taking it back to the guy today. It is their responsibility to fix it and pass smog, which I hope he can. It is a really nice 2000 Explorer 4wd, only 74,000 miles. So far I've had it 4 days runs great. But either he fixes it or gives me my $4500 back!!

Back