• Register Today It's free!

Check engine blinking at me

tvail6

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
I have a 96 X SOHC 4.0 SPORT. It has recently gotten cold here in Oklahoma so I started my X this morning and let it warm up for about 10 minutes. I got in my truck and when i TOOK off I noticed a small vibration in the steering wheel. When I got on the highway I noticed my check engine light was blinking at me. The light has been on for about 5000 miles and the code is reading the O2 sensor. It would stop blinking only at stabilized speed. Then begin blinking again. I only drove it from home to work (8 miles) not sure what to do now. Should I have it towed? Is this a common problem? Something simple? Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find out if a local auto parts place will pull the codes for you. If so, get the codes, then post them here, or search by code here... Don't buy any parts from them until you know what's going on with the CEL and why it's blinking. :)

Thanks, I will run at lunch and check the codes, then post them.

Ok I went and pulled the codes. There are 5.

p0171
p0420
p0306
p0153
p0174

Have not researched these...will now..I know one was 6th cylinder misfire..not good

Searching in the forums this is what the codes I found for you mean.

p0171 bank 1 system to lean
po420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
po306 cylinder 6 misfire
po153 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
po174 System too Lean (Bank 2)

Keep in mind I have no clue what any of them mean. I was just bored and thought I would search for them on here for you. Hope that helps.

From what I have been reading it could possibly be an intake gasket leaking. All my information has come from google searching possible solutions for you. I have no experience working on cars and am just posting the information that I am reading on the cylinder 6 misfire.

Thank you very much... I will reasearch them all...If anyone can give me any tips on where I should start that would be great... Fuel filter...o2 sensors...
Spark Plugs and Wires were both replaced 10k ago.

which engine?

The original post states the engine is a 96 X SOHC 4.0 SPORT. I believe in the U.S. the SOHC was not incorporated until the 97 model year. If you do have the SOHC V6 then you likely have leaking intake manifold gaskets. They shrink when the temperature is cold and leak more than when warm. This problem also occurs on the OHV V6 but is less common. Check the 8th digit of your VIN. If it is an "E" then you have the SOHC. If it is and "X" then you have the OHV.

The original post states the engine is a 96 X SOHC 4.0 SPORT. I believe in the U.S. the SOHC was not incorporated until the 97 model year. If you do have the SOHC V6 then you likely have leaking intake manifold gaskets. They shrink when the temperature is cold and leak more than when warm. This problem also occurs on the OHV V6 but is less common. Check the 8th digit of your VIN. If it is an "E" then you have the SOHC. If it is and "X" then you have the OHV.

as i was looking up parts I noticed it should be the OHV... I have been under the assumptions since buying this truck 3 years ago it was a sohc.. I stand corrected..i will check the vin tho

I checked the VIN and it is an X... To correct my earlier statement. My engine is OHV not SOHC. Any advice?...

I would help ya try and search on here, but for some reason I just can't figure out the search function. I type in one thing and it gives me a whole list of stuff that I didn't search for. Different forum software than I am used to I guess.

It seems the Intake Manifold Gasket is the only universal problem for these codes. I will begin there. Must I replace the valve cover gaskets when replacing the upper intake manifold gasket?

No you do not need to replace the VC gaskets when you replace the intake gaskets.
The intakes are just 3 rubber "o ring" gaskets and a gasket under the fuel rail.

Its a pain in the @ss if you have the EGR tube lol

I think I have a pretty good idea of what to do... I got part the plenum gasket set at oreillys...4.99. I have my chiltons and found a how to on here with pictures... The only thing I am a little confused about...The gasket comes with the three "o-ring" gaskets but it also comes with three more... Is this the one by the fuel rail... If someone could explain to me what needs to be done about the gasket by the fuel rail it has not really been explained on here from i have found...starting project tonight....its about 45 degrees..will get colder...is this going to be a problem?

why will it be a pain? and hints or advice if i run into trouble?...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just got the intake off.... gaskets are flat....good thing? i hope....was right about the egr....that was a &^%$# but i took it slow and was able to remove it in about 15 minutes...

Back