Clicking Valve | Which additive do you prefer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking Valve | Which additive do you prefer?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC 126,000 Miles

One of my valves is clicking terribly. Which oil additive do you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing you might have a sticky lifter? If so, I'd recommend adding about 6-7 ozs of Seafoam to your oil. It's good for removing sludge build-up and varnish...but, it thins the oil somewhat and, for that reason, you don't want to run it more than a couple hundred miles before changing your oil. Good stuff.

OK. Thanks. I'll run some SeaFoam for about 300 miles and then change the oil. If I still hearing clicking after the oil change, then I'm going to add an oil treatment. There are lots of oil treatments on the market... which one do you / anyone recommend? Thanks for your help.

I've never had luck unsticking a sticky lifter. Actually made one worse by using synthetic oil. Only thing that even slightly quieted it down was a quart of Lucas Heavy Duty oil stabilizer. I have, however, had good luck curing weird noises with a couple capfuls of Marvel Mystery oil. Just not lifter noise.

I ran SeaFoam in the oil for 300 miles. It didn't stop the clicking.

I changed the oil (conventional oil) and added a bottle of Bardahl No Smoke + Stop Leak, which is supposed to "Quiet noisy lifters and decreases engine noise." It didn't stop the clicking.

Suggestions? Thanks.

I'm guessing it's your timing chain guides...changing them is the only thing going to quiet that down... don't think there's an easy fix...

Back