Clunking when turning? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clunking when turning?

TomCat_Ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
When I am making a turn with my Explorer, I notice a clunking noise. Now this is the AWD model. Back when I was having transmission issues, I asked the transmission guy who test drove it what the noise was, and he said that it was likely the 4wd. That's what I thought it sounded like myself... like turning on pavement with the 4wd engaged. But I'm still worried that it might be my drive shafts. Does anyone else out there with AWD have this problem?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup what BrooklynBay said. It could be any one of those, or maybe swaybar link ends?

Check all those things. If they are OK it could be the 4wd trying to engage. The easiest way to see if it is the 4wd is to get under and disconnect the plastic wiring coupling located above the transfer case. If the noise stops you have found your fault.

It is safe to leave it disconnected. It just means the auto 4wd system will not operate.

if it sounds when you turn the wheel fully, and you have front traction engaged, it could be that the conection of the axle to the wheel has some wear, and the point of the axle might need to be taken apart and reconstructed by a welder or something (i´ve had some of those redone in other cars, cheaper, and you get to keep your original one), when this happens is because the channels on the axle (kindda like the ones on rack and pinion systems) are worn out.

To me, it sounds like the 4wd is engaging when it shouldn't be. The quickes way to determine if it's a mechanical or electrical issue is to first, verify that it's doing it. Then disconnect the large plug near the transfer case that feeds everything to the case. Make a few more circles and verify that the problem is gone. If so, it's an electrical gremlin. If the noise persists, it's a mechanical issue with the t-case or something else in the driveline.

-Joe

i had a "thunk" sound before when turning slowly (i.e. parking lot manuevers..) the "clunking" got milder when i replaced the lower ball joints and sway bar links then it completely went away when i replaced the upper control arm/ball joint...

see if any of those are worn out first..

the "clunking" got milder when i replaced the lower ball joints and sway bar links then it completely went away when i replaced the upper control arm/ball joint...

I second this theory. My Explorer clunks when I turn and I know the ball joints are shot. I plan to replace both the upper and lower soon, but until then, I'm not driving it much.

The reason I think it is the AWD is because it acts as though it is in 4WD... it 4WD hops.

So I can disable the AWD by unplugging it in order to test it? Would the 4WD still work in the other two positions (4-High and 4-Low)?

First, for the record, it's not all wheel drive, it's electronic on-demand 4wd. Second, if it's hopping when making a tight turn in 4AUTO, I, too, would suspect it's the 4wd inadvertently being locked in. Whether it's due to a mechanical failure of the transfer case or an electrical gremlin, we still don't know. As I mentioned in my previous post, the easiest way to isolate to either a mechanical or an electrical issue is to unplug the t-case connector. If the problem goes away, it's electrical, and if the problem persists, it's mechanical. Simple as that. It takes 10 minutes topps.

Unplug the thing and see how it goes. If the problem goes away you either have to get a sensor reprogramme as per a Ford Technical bulletin from some years back or install a brown wire switch, which is a common quick fix to the problem.

Google Brown wire mode or do a search on this forum and you will find info. If you go the brown wire mode, the 4WD auto system becomes a manual system and only engages (if it needs to) when you switch it over.

When I got under me Explorer to check it out, I noticed that there seems to be a leak. It appears to be coming from the vent, which doesn't have a tube on it. I think that my transfer case might be low on fluid. Would that cause this problem?

PS: wha''s up with the forums? My user name is now TomCat_ferd (with an E!).

EDIT: I didn't type "wha''s up, either. I typed wha t ' s... very odd... is someone having a little fun with the language filter on Apri l (this word was filtered too) fool's day?

Well, I ended up draining the fluid. It was nasty... light brown and burnt smelling, so it was definitely bad. I replaced it with some ATF fluid that I had (just store-brand stuff, for the time being... I'll drain it again and put some good stuff in it this weekend). It wasn't that low, though... the manual calls for 1.3 quarts, and I drained 1.1-1.2 quarts out of it. As far as I know the problem still persists, though. At least it has fresh fluid in it, albeit cheap stuff. I figure that is better than the crud that was in there! Heck, just about anything would be better! (If only people did proper maintenance on these things... the previous owner had the brake system flushed, the cooling system flushed, etc., but they didn't touch the transfer case :rolleyes:).

It still appears to be leaking fluid from that vent tube... which doesn't have a tube attached to it, as I can see the barbs to which a tube might have been friction fit to. There's supposed to be a tube there, isn't there? If yes, any idea as to where I might find one?

It also still has the same problem after changing the fluid.

Thanks.

Can you snap a pic of it for us? Might help us understand where it's coming from...

The fluid is coming out of the vent tube near the top of the transfer case (faces the front of the vehicle). It's a barbed tube about a couple of inches long that looks as thought there should be a tube attached to it. But I see no tube anywhere near it.

From what I have read, there should be a tube coming off from it with a plastic cover on the end? Does this sound correct? If so, can I buy these parts?

Anyone have any insight as to the vent?

I'm not certain but I think you are looking at either the front dif overflow tube or the tranny breather tube. I haven't worked underneath sports so not certain on which. Your transfer case should be a sealed unit and have no tubes coming out of it.

No, I'm definitely looking at the transfer case. It's kind of hard to confuse it with a differential or a transmission! There's a barbed vent tube with nothing connecting to it coming right out from the top front of the transfer case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back