• Register Today It's free!

Code 6 from CB test

Czar Zach

Reaction score
City, State
Chino, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I've searched all around on here but i've found nothing for my one digit code.

After the cylinder balance test, i got six twice. If it's supposed to be two digits, then is it 66?

I haven't ever ran the built in cylinder balance test, but my understanding is that the results of the cylinder balance test are output as single digit codes pointing to bad cylinders. So a single 6 after the cylinder balance test indicates that the computer did not like cylinder #6's response to having the injector disabled. It indicates that something is causing a misfire on #6.

On the cylinder balance test, results are output as codes 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, or 90.

Codes 10 through 80 are cylinders number 1-8 weak (i.e. 40 means cylinder #4). Code 90 means all cylinders are contributing equally.

When the test is completed, if you blip the throttle within 2 minutes, the test will be repeated with looser tolerance values to determine severity of the weakness. It can be run 3 times total.

If you get a pass (90) on the first test, everything's good and equal. If you get a fail on a cylinder on the first test but pass the second, then the failing cylinder is somewhat weak. If you run three tests and fail the first two before passing the third, it's more severe. If you run 3 tests and a cylinder fails all three, it's maximum severity.

Back