control trac seems to be locked in 4wd?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

control trac seems to be locked in 4wd??

JasonF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4x4 4.0
My 96's control trac has always worked as advertised. Of course, it has been since last winter since the 4wd was used much. I switch it into low occasionally to keep things moving, but the auto4wd should require no maintenance. Today I was at a stop sign on a slippery hill so I put the auto 4wd on instead of regular 2wd. She kicked in and went but then appeared to stay hard locked into 4wd as I slowed down 100ft later and went to make a left turn. I had to actually decrease my rate of turn and switch back to 2wd as I could feel the drivetrain binding up. It did this a second time so now I am convinced I have a problem. Also, it will not engage auto unless I am stopped. Did one of my speed sensors go out? Any ideas on why the electronic clutch would just lock in and not sense slippage and engage like it is supposed to? What can I do to fix?

Thanks

Jason

Did you get any flashing of the 4x4 lights? I'd check the speed sensors, make sure they are still connected. If you switch to Auto while driving then come to a stop, does the problem occur again when you start going?

I have been using it off and on recently and it seems to be working okay right now. I think after not being used all summer it needed a little exercise. It will also switch to 4wd auto while I am moving now. Hopefully everything will continue to work normally through the winter.. won't be long before snow flies.

Jason

Back