• Register Today It's free!

Cracking noise when heater is on

BruceF

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base
I have a 2012 base and it seems when the heater is on around every 15 minutes I get a cracking sound similar to the sound of having a rock/pebble hit the windshield.

I sat in a parking lot trying to isolate the location. It is located behind the radio, heater controls area.

Does anyone else have this strange cracking noise?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the same issue here on my 2012 xlt without the MFT and I can't seem to pinpoin the location either and its driving me crazy!!!!

Hey,

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer base that has this same cracking noise.

I was told today by the service department when I brought it in...

"The noise that you are hearing is the heater going in to sleep mode, and is normal"

They were able to re-create it using my instructions: turn the car on - put the heater to medium settings and drive with it.

So that is the answer I got!

Hey,

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer base that has this same cracking noise.

I was told today by the service department when I brought it in...

"The noise that you are hearing is the heater going in to sleep mode, and is normal"

They were able to re-create it using my instructions: turn the car on - put the heater to medium settings and drive with it.

So that is the answer I got!

wow, between my trans issue and this cracking sound on a $35K car just doesn't seem right. I may have to ditch it depending what the dealer says next week. If I get the answers I don't like, I'll reach out to Cory from FCS. If nothing comes out of that ----> see yah explorer. Never had this many bugs with any new car.

wow, between my trans issue and this cracking sound on a $35K car just doesn't seem right. I may have to ditch it depending what the dealer says next week. If I get the answers I don't like, I'll reach out to Cory from FCS. If nothing comes out of that ----> see yah explorer. Never had this many bugs with any new car.

I also had it in today because water is held in the doors. Example: If I get the car washed on Friday and wait a week, then roll the windows down and back up, they are still covered with water and streak, and then dry with a film on the window, requiring you to clean it every time you use your window.

the dealer also told me that "This is perfectly normal with this car"

wonderful.

I also had it in today because water is held in the doors. Example: If I get the car washed on Friday and wait a week, then roll the windows down and back up, they are still covered with water and streak, and then dry with a film on the window, requiring you to clean it every time you use your window.

wonderful.

I also have the condensation problems but I guess I never thought about taking it to the dealer for that.

...Does anyone else have this strange cracking noise?...
I’m sorry I missed this thread before, BruceF. I wanted to check in with you to see if you’re still hearing the noise. If so, I can help by forwarding the info to the Customer Service Manager in your area. Be sure to shoot a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state.

...If I get the answers I don't like, I'll reach out to Cory from FCS...
I’ll keep an eye on my inbox for your PM, mtz.

I also had it in today because water is held in the doors. Example: If I get the car washed on Friday and wait a week, then roll the windows down and back up, they are still covered with water and streak, and then dry with a film on the window, requiring you to clean it every time you use your window...
I see you spoke with Brian, jonredcorn. Please let me know via PM if you’d like me to forward any more details.

Cory

jonredcorn said:

wonderful.

Did the dealer manged to fix this. I had the same problem. I can live with it but I am worried on the long run it cause some problems like rust.

Did the dealer manged to fix this. I had the same problem. I can live with it but I am worried on the long run it cause some problems like rust.

i wonder if everyone has this problem. as long as i document it at the dealership that i complained about it, and ford states this is perfectly normal, if it does get rusty over time, that's on them to have to fix/replace parts or whatever....

My dealer claimed to have called the Ford Customer Service hotline and said that this is a characteristic of the Ford Explorer and is perfectly normal.

When asked about corrosion, they said "Well that is why you have a corrosion warranty of course!" (they are talking about the 5 year warranty)

So there you have it. It's a 5 year car.

Not normal

The cracking poping sound is not normal. This is just typical Ford BS. Some unknowledgeable customers accept it, but I will not give up.

If the A pillars are happening on most of the Explorers this should also be seen as normal, but enough people complained, and they fixed the problem.

I have a second appointment on Monday for a second evaluation after they replaced the Front Control Panel one time.

The cracking popping sound is a lot more annoying then the buzzing that I was getting from the A-pillars.

Stand up to Ford to get this problem resolved.

The cracking poping sound is not normal. This is just typical Ford BS. Some unknowledgeable customers accept it, but I will not give up.

If the A pillars are happening on most of the Explorers this should also be seen as normal, but enough people complained, and they fixed the problem.

I have a second appointment on Monday for a second evaluation after they replaced the Front Control Panel one time.

The cracking popping sound is a lot more annoying then the buzzing that I was getting from the A-pillars.

Stand up to Ford to get this problem resolved.

I intend to. I have a dealer appt for this next thu.

MTZ,

I will keep the group updated as I continue to go through the process.

Please do the same.

Jonredcorn,

Take some time to think about what the dealer told you.

"The noise that you are hearing is the heater going in to sleep mode, and is normal" :thumbdwn:

Should we expect this when the A/C goes into sleep mode as well?

What other modes should we expect cracking poping sounds when our cars decide to go to sleep.

Do not let them take you for a fool.

You work hard for your money and spend it wisely and expect a product to perform correctly.

Ford braggs how quiet the car is. Well to me, cracking poping sounds is not very quiet.

Went to the dealer today for the cracking popping sound coming from the FCIM.

The dealer called Ford engineering, and the engineering group asked the dealer to test like vehicles. The dealer drove two brand new base models.

3 hours later....

Well it seems that base models were designed to make cracking popping sounds when the heater is on. Can you imagine.

It is not over.

Went to the dealer today for the cracking popping sound coming from the FCIM.

The dealer called Ford engineering, and the engineering group asked the dealer to test like vehicles. The dealer drove two brand new base models.

3 hours later....

Well it seems that base models were designed to make cracking popping sounds when the heater is on. Can you imagine.

It is not over.

arrrrgh!!! I can't wait till this Thu to take it to the dealer for this and my trans issue. It happened to me after 1hour of driving, I heard 3 pops within 30 minutes. My wife says its garbage for that kind of engineering for $35K truck. I tell you one thing, if it doesn't get fixed, I am going to dump it. Between this and the trans bump, unacceptable.

MTZ,

I will keep the group updated as I continue to go through the process.

Please do the same.

Jonredcorn,

Take some time to think about what the dealer told you.

"The noise that you are hearing is the heater going in to sleep mode, and is normal" :thumbdwn:

Should we expect this when the A/C goes into sleep mode as well?

What other modes should we expect cracking poping sounds when our cars decide to go to sleep.

Do not let them take you for a fool.

You work hard for your money and spend it wisely and expect a product to perform correctly.

Ford braggs how quiet the car is. Well to me, cracking poping sounds is not very quiet.

I get what you're saying. The cracking noise is still annoying to me and happens a lot. I noticed that even with the music turned up, it was loud enough at one point to make me jump.

The problem is - I don't know what else we can do. I will keep bringing it up every time I bring it in for service, but if it's supposedly a "normal" thing, the best I believe we can do is:
1) Let others know who are considering purchasing this vehicle.
2) make sure that there is a record of it so in case of failure, you are able to prove that this was malfunctioning before the warranty was up.

I am open to any other ideas, but I think we might be stuck. How did the A-Pillar issue become prevalent enough to warrant a TSB? :usa:

MTZ,

I believe that you were going to take a test ride with the dealer today concerning the Popping/Cracking sound coming from the FCIM when the heat is on.

Any luck?

Bruce

MTZ,

I believe that you were going to take a test ride with the dealer today concerning the Popping/Cracking sound coming from the FCIM when the heat is on.

Any luck?

Bruce

going to the dealer to pick it up tonight. I had to wait for parts for the TSB roof fix. I should get the complete run down of things today. Will keep things updated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update on the noise from the dash...they couldn't reproduce it. 5 minutes out of the dealer, I heard again. So I'm back square 1 and I guess I'll have to make alternate arrangements and bring it back in. so frustrating on a $35K truck.

Back