• Register Today It's free!

Front Instrument Panel Removal

BruceF

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base
Does any one have information on how to remove the front instrument panel.

I have a 2012 base and it seems when the heater is on around every 15 minutes I get a cracking sound similar to the sound of having a rock/pebble hit the windshield.

I sat in a parking lot trying to isolate the location. It is located behind the radio, heater controls area.

I think if I remove the cover I might be able to fine what is making this strange cracking noise?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does any one have information on how to remove the front instrument panel.

I have a 2012 base and it seems when the heater is on around every 15 minutes I get a cracking sound similar to the sound of having a rock/pebble hit the windshield.

I sat in a parking lot trying to isolate the location. It is located behind the radio, heater controls area.

I think if I remove the cover I might be able to fine what is making this strange cracking noise?

Thanks,
Why risk damaging something? Take it to the dealer and let them do it instead. Interpret that anyway you want.:D

I've noticed that too, I'm just guessing its the normal expansion of the various components in the dash as the car heats up from the cold.

If I take it to the dealer it is going to take some time as it happens in the range of 15 minutes. These mechanics are always in a rush. If I can pinpoint the problem, I will save much of the run around time.

In my experience they will either say, they all do it, or they can not pin point the sound, or it did not happen when they had the car.

We need to be our own problem solvers and support each other.

I see so many threads on this forum with people getting the run around from the dealerships.

I still have not seen the fix for the A-Pilar, water gathering between the two door seals, burnt oil smell and so on.

So if someone has a manual showing how to remove the instrument panel that would be great.

I had the same problem, a noise similar to when a stone hits the windshield, sometimes stronger than another, do not think it's expansion of cold because in my country only hot, and hear from the panel and the glass of the driver's side, Greetings

Tavin,

You stated that you "had" the same problem. What was the fix?

Thanks,

I've noticed that too, I'm just guessing its the normal expansion of the various components in the dash as the car heats up from the cold.
I haven't experienced this noise and it has been very cold here the past few days.

BruceF, as no one had touched the subject of this strange noise had given importance, did not know that there were other owners with the same problem, and I think that the dealer give you any solution, please if you get beyond your own solution to tell us, thanks

...I think if I remove the cover I might be able to fine what is making this strange cracking noise?...
Why risk damaging something? Take it to the dealer and let them do it instead. Interpret that anyway you want.:D
BruceF,

I’m with Peter on this in recommending that the dealer look into the noise. I can also lend a hand by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

BruceF today by chance I could reproduce the strange noise, was cleaning the windshield on the inside and produced pressure on the edge of the panel is attached to the glass front of the driver, is a softer zone and allows movement, and there was the crack equal to that which is heard while driving, as I say apparently is a xzona soft and has some movement to make some money or vehicle passes through a gap, I hope it helps you, greetings

Back