• Register Today It's free!

Crankcase Breather Tubes on SOHC

Rayz2000Sport

Reaction score
City, State
College Dover DE,Baltimore(Essex) Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
I am currently in the process of making a custom cold air intake for my 2000 ex sport. My question is about the two crankcase breather tubes that are connected to the stock intake tube....
100_0672-1.jpg

100_0671.jpg

These are the two tubes I am talking about.

Anyway, the question is would I be able to replace these tubes with small breather filters, here is an example (here are some examples just for the visual)
sum-g3405_s.jpg

mrg-2049_w_s.jpg

aid-771-490_w_s.jpg

Would I encounter any problems in replacing these tubes with breathers? Would I be able to keep the tubes but just attach breather filters to the end and not drill into the new intake tube?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can replace the tube that goes to the valve cover with a filtered breather. I have had this mod for quite some time.

Good luck ....

You can replace the tube that goes to the valve cover with a filtered breather. I have had this mod for quite some time.

Good luck ....

Do you have a picture that shows the setup you are running? Just interested to see what is involved. I think I will need to get a rubber grommit and the filter and then I should be good, not sure though haha. Any pictures you could offer would be great. Thanks

Here is a shot of the breather ....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,389

What brand of breather is that? Did you need a grommit to put in with the breather?

Some "no name" brand that I picked up at Advanced Auto Parts. It has been replaced with a quality part ( EaAB ) from Amsoil ( http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaab.aspx ).

There is a grommet where the tube went into the valve cover; I reused that one.

Thanks so much for the help. Did the discount filter work alright for you? I will probably go the same route at first and then buy a quality one later on.

This makes me wonder why Ford would have the stock set up the way it is.
From Amsoil.....
Why Are Crankcase Breathers Necessary?
Pressure builds in the engine crankcase due to vapor from the hot engine oil and from exhaust gases that escape past the piston rings. A crankcase breather system is used to release this pressure. If the breather system becomes blocked, the crankcase pressure builds internally. As the pressure increases, the oil is pushed through the area offering the least resistance, such as the dipstick or a seal. Crankcase breather filters are employed to ensure the crankcase does not become blocked with foreign materials as pressurized gases escape.

Why would they want all those hot gases and build up to be vented into the air intake system?

Because it is dry and it's filtered. It doesn't require extra filters or filter covers.
See what happens if you splash water all over that exposed filter.
You could get a small plastic box, cut out the bottom, run the breather tubes to the box and position the filters inside the box. It would get them away from the intake, but protect from splashing water (mostly).

Sealed it with a patch. I do not have a stock intake; mine is a Mac.

Sealed it with a patch. I do not have a stock intake; mine is a Mac.

Do you have any pictures of how you patched up the hole? Just wondering

Does anyone know what the deal is with the other tube? The one that (for lack of a better term) is somewhat of a hardline? (plastic) Is it another breather?

Having a bit of a problem with the breather. Bought a filter and it dosent fit. When I removed the hose from the stock location there is a post that is sticking up and the filter wont fit over it. Did you encounter the same problem?

Yes, I just got one that fit.

Good luck ....

What do you mean? The one I got is not even close to fitting, and I really do not want to caveman it on like I normally would haha. I really do not understand how to get it to fit. I am going to try and put on my new intake tommorow but I wont be able to if I can not get this breather taken care of.

I might be wrong, I'm still kind of new to this, but I believe the other tube you are talking about (the solid one) takes air that is flowing in and measures the temperature of it. Confirmation needed I guess...
In any case I don't think you can bypass the solid tube.
The MAC intake kit comes with rubber thingies that will plug up the crankcase breather tube if you choose to bypass it. Which I did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might be wrong, I'm still kind of new to this, but I believe the other tube you are talking about (the solid one) takes air that is flowing in and measures the temperature of it. Confirmation needed I guess...
In any case I don't think you can bypass the solid tube.
The MAC intake kit comes with rubber thingies that will plug up the crankcase breather tube if you choose to bypass it. Which I did.

So did you just leave the tube how it was, just not connected to anything?

Back