Crankcase breather tube vs crankcase filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crankcase breather tube vs crankcase filter

Buzzsaw

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Walton Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport & '05 XLS
Replace Crankcase breater tube w/filter?

I have just installed a K&N FIPK Gen II on my 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC and I have a question about that crankcase breather tube. Can I replace it with a crankcase filter without messing up anything with the computer or the engine performance? I don't really like the way that grommet went into the tube and then to get the breather tube to stay in place it has to stick out a little into the intake tube so that must be messing with the airflow down the pipe. Anybody tried using the filter or how have you intake guys handled this? :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a cheap 10$ breather I bought at Discount Auto Parts that I replaced the tube with. Ive had it on for a year now with no problems.

Won't do any harm at all and works just as good. Looks a whole lot better too.

I'm using hose clamps to keep my breather tube on tight.

i put a breather on the valve cover. did not set off a check engine light or anything but it did feel like i lost a little bit of power

That's one of the things I was worried about, but not sure why it would affect the power but with these new computerized engines anything is possible. Was it low end torque that you noticed? I seem to notice just a tad of low end torque since I did the install but I love the sound and the power seems to be there in all the other parts of the power range.

I've got one on order from K&N to match the intake but I was concerned if there would be any affect on the performance or mileage.

blah it wont affect power or milege. Ive had mine on for a year on this truck and 2 years on my old explorer and it was fine. Just looks better....Plus I didnt see anything good out of air being recycled back into my intake from the crankcase

I have done it.
Looks is a good part of it, but it also bennifits by keeping oil residue off the TB.
Does it make a hill of beans of a differance ? I dunno, but it looks good :D

Attachments

• engineL.jpg
    engineL.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 5,070

rubber grommet and permatex

That's the look I'm shooting for. Really wish I hadn't drilled that 5/8" hole in my K&N now but too late to cry now. I really didn't think about any options until I had so much trouble getting the breather tube to stay put. I tried a hose clamp but it doesn't really get a good bite on that piece of grommet sticking out of the intake tube. I'm going to try and plug that hole with something as flat as possible to try to keep the airflow as smooth as possible.

Nothing wrong with putting some gorilla tape over that hole.

This is an old thread, however since it was just resurrected,

To bypass the PCV hose on the inlet by using an external air filter allows un-metered air into the engine

Just an FIY.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about putting an air filter on the valve cover, get ride of the hose and blocking the hole on the intake so no un-metered air gets past the MAF, No?

I'm pretty sure we're talking about putting an air filter on the valve cover, get ride of the hose and blocking the hole on the intake so no un-metered air gets past the MAF, No?

The pvc pulls vacuum on the air from the crankcase which comes from that breather. If you block that hose off technically you need to delete the pcv. I personally would leave it a closed system. If your boosted and have excessive blow by then add a catch can in line.

No
The air entering the pcv eventually leads to the combustion chamber, and the maf will not meter it unless it is a closed system.

The air is introduced by vacuum at the upper intake manifold, down to the block. The vacuum air enters thru the valve cover vent. This air should be metered by the maf. Get it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for the correction Turdle. I thought I understood how the PCV system worked. I always thought the gases from the valve cover vent out and never thought they where pulled inward with suction.

Back