Cranks but doesn't start.

bishop10

Reaction score
City, State
sacramento, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
01' Explorer Sport
Car cranks up but won't start...
To begin....Ok so for about a week and ahalf my 2001 Explorer Sport has been overheating. The radiator had a crack. 1 day I drove it out far and coming back home on the highway the car starts overheating, shaking and making a rattling noise b/c the I guess the radiator is empty. I hurry and make the exit and the car shuts off as im pulling into a parking lot. I add water and coolant, put top back on try to start car, coolant starts backflowing through cap. Also I see and smell fuel...lots of it. I get car towed home and order a radiator. We change the oil which has to much and put new thermastat. It starts when we pump the gas pedal. Then all of a sudden we can't get it to start anymore. We put in new radiator. Nothing. It cranks but doesn't start. Inertia switch is down.

BTW under the hood where the thermastat is there is a black rubber hose with plastic inside where fuel flows. It's rubber with metal on either side. That is what melted and had fuel leaking. Does anybody know what that part is called? Any ideas why car cranks but won't start?
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. You have a cracked fuel line, and your fuel pressure is low as a result, so it doesn't start. Check the vendors on this site for a new line.

Trouble identifying part described

I'm having trouble identifying the part you described as leaking fuel. Does your engine look like my SOHC shown below?
FuelLoom.jpg

Is so, are you speaking of the loom on the fuel supply line identified with the red arrow? Or, are you referring to the section of fuel line between the two fuel rail connections marked with the green arrow?

might sound dumb, but do a compression test, and see if you have compression.

Sorry it's a SOHC 4.0. The part is located behind where the thermastat is housed. It's 3 or 4 hoses that run in there and this is one of them.

BrooklynBay I believe you may be absolutely correct.

Back