• Register Today It's free!

Crooked window

Poohdaddy

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
I'm having an window alignment issue with my '94 Sport. It's the driver side window. When I roll it up about halfway up it begins to slow to a stop and begins going crooked. The rear part of the glass tries to go straight and the side towards the front doesn't want to go up. Then it binds and comes to a stop halfway. Then the only way it will budge is to hold button while either pulling up or pushing down on glass. This has gotten annoying really fast. Any help would be great and pics greatly appreciated thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try to grease the window regulator tracks.

My passenger window started to get slower in speed, sometimes binding to where I thought something would break.I removed the door panel and greased the tracks. Works as normal now.

You could try to grease the window regulator tracks.

My passenger window started to get slower in speed, sometimes binding to where I thought something would break.I removed the door panel and greased the tracks. Works as normal now.
I sprayed WD-40 in the track but it didn't seem to help. Is there something else I could spray in the track?

You need to replace the regulator. They are fairly cheap at RockAuto. The regulator spring is very strong so don't let it cut off your finger if you get one without a new motor and you have to transfer over your old motor.

Yes I made that sound very scary because the spring is VERY strong and could easily break your fingers. Extra hands, a vice and large C-clamps are recommended if the motor is changed/swapped.

Regulator w/motor it is then lol! Thanks.

Have you actually looked at the "tracks" to see if there is an adjustment issue? bolt/nut too loose? missing? etc.??? IIRC misalignment during past window servicing caused a similar issue with my door(s). I've rebuilt all four door window motors with regulator gear "plugs" disks at least once in 20+ years.

Cheddar Dan I'm beginning to think you might be right concerning the track. I haven't had time to inspect it with door panel off but today I noticed a distinct rattle in door when I closed it that wasnt there until window starting acting up. I'm guessing a loose track. I'll post my findings and thanks.

My drivers window does the exact same things described in the first post, and I have a new regulator and motor on it, so there can be other causes. I've had the panel off several times and played with the window up and down to try to figure out where the issue is, but can't see it.
My passenger window also has the same problem, but not as bad, it will still go all the way up on its own.
Something is causing both my windows to tilt as they go up, the front side is lower by maybe a half inch. If I stop it short of fully closed and reverse it a bit, it levels out.

I sprayed WD-40 in the track but it didn't seem to help. Is there something else I could spray in the track?

I used some synthetic grease in a tub I have. I just put some some both sides of the sliders in the track, and rolled the window up and down until I thought the binding was fixed. I think aerosol lithium grease would also work fine.

Toypaseo, to be clear, you're talking about greasing the tracks the inside mechanism slides in, not the top of door window frame, yes?

Toypaseo, to be clear, you're talking about greasing the tracks the inside mechanism slides in, not the top of door window frame, yes?

You are correct, sir. The mechanism track.

Back