Cross your fingers for us... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cross your fingers for us...

offset_98

Reaction score
My wife was hit this morning in our Ex. Luckily she was ok and the frame of the truck is ok too. The front and rear doors and rear fender are all wavy and pushed in now though. I hope this other guys insurance company doesn't total our Ex out otherwise we're up ****'s creek with no money for a new car. Anyone have a guess how much something like that would cost to fix? Anyone know what the "total out" percentage is? Our truck has 172,000 miles on it but runs like a champ. I'm contemplating that if the insurance company wants to total it that i'll just take it back and drive it w/ the damage on it. Its still very drivable, just looks bad.
Thanks all,
Erik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do the doors open and close easily ?

Can you see damage to either of the door pillars ?

i had the ins. co total my old volvo the car ran great and dident have anything wrong with it except the rear door that was ran into twice
they gave me $2950 for the totaled car and then sold it back to me for $25
i got to keep my car and still p/u a used ranger

I'm going to try something like that...how did you go about doing it? They cut you a check and then you're like...how much for the volvo? I'm curious. I could keep my Ex. and pay some bills if that were the case.

might want to talk to a lawyer first. Since it was not her fault and this is your only mode of transport, you maybe intitled to more. There are plenty of them that will give free consults.

but dont even consider talking to a lawyer that approaches you about the accident...go to one you friends/family recommend...and also since the accident wasnt your wife's fault the other company is responsible for renting you a car to use until they 1) repair your x or 2) cut you a check

oh and if they try to total it, they WILL lowball the value...but you dont have to take the money if you dont feel its adequate, and you can negotiate the value of your vehicle

just ask them if you can keep the car or if you can buy it back it saves them the cost of towing/junking it you will need to get a salvage title if you plan on selling it and the car will prob be worth nothing but you get to keep it and you get a check too
two good things out of a bad situation

50-60% is the par norm with older cars. I know on new ones it can go as high as 80%

Good luck, but it may be toast. Just buy the truck back though :)

Why in the name of all that is good in this world does this discussion come up EVERY SINGLE TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

Buying back a total is RARELY a wise option. Cars total for a reason. If you have pillar damage it is not worth your time or money to buy back the Ex.

Give the insurance estiamte a good look-see. See if it has any repair time for any of the pillars or any " Set-up, measure and pull time " If it does count your losses and call it a day. If there is nothing about that on the estimate then buying it back and fixing it is a possibility, but it still will be some what costly, and labor intensive.

Well...got some estimates...looks like its going to be $3800-$4000 depending. If the insurance company is nice they'll gave me $3700 for my Explorer.

Anyone know what price the Ins. Companies go off of? Do they do retail/trade/wholesale...???

We've decided to cut our losses and buy a new (used) vehicle. I just hope I can get enough from the Ins. Co.

insurnace companies go off a few things, market value, and options.... i bougt my 85 toyota for $2k 3 years ago, it was totalled last year by someone rearending me, the bdamage was very slight, jsut needed a new tail light and drove around with the corner a little messed up, i got 2k for it.....

From my understandings with what I went through, the Insurance Company will determine a book value that they feel is fair and offer you that amount. This amount is based on your vehicles book value, condition, mileage, options and even aftermarket parts or recent work may also be a small factor in determining your Explorers value. If you feel they are trying to lowball you, you do not have to accept their first offer and you can negotiate with them. In my situation I was being lowballed over the value of my vehicle and fought with them for over a month to reach a settlement, which I thought was fair. Try to find out the NADA (National Auto Dealers Association) value of your Explorer, which is value the Insurance Company should be using and this may give you an idea of what to expect. Granted I am in now way an expert and this was just in my experience and may be different in your state, best of luck.

If your Explorer is totaled you can buy it back for a small amount off the settlement offer, which is what they would expect to get for it from a salvage yard. In which case you can have it repaired, part it out or keep it for parts. When my Explorer was hit, it was all cosmetic damage and was still very mechanical sound. I drove it around until it died and used the ins. check to pay off bills.

In regards to the rental, it should be covered for the duration of time your Jeep is in the shop if by chance it is going to get repaired or only a short period of time if they do total it. And will probably only for a small economy car. As somebody already mentioned a rental will only be possible if you are over 21.

Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail

National Base Price
$2,050 $2,901 $4,075
Optional Equipment
$317 $437 $671

Total $1,358 $2,336 $3,753

Doesn't look like they're going to fix it. I've got 173k miles on it :( Poor Explorer.

Huh...NADA makes it look like its worth a lot more. Even taking the $5700 one into consideration, its 73% totalled. I think she's done for. My body shop told me if it was 65% + it would be a total-out.

Still waiting on the other guys insurance company to come out and look at the truck. How long does this stuff take normally? Anyone know? They already got a recorded statement and the police report...I'm waiting on their adjustor.

took them near near 6 weeks to get to mine. This was with about 5 calls weekly. But it seems it could have gone faster, but the other guys agent went on a 2 week vaca. Then after I got it all looked at, it took almost 5 weeks to get a check.

Well...as of yesterday they valued my Ex at about $5k. Which really surprised me, I thought it was worth less seeing as I have 175k on the clock. Although I have just about every single oil change, part change anything reciept you can think of.
They apperently need to do a "strip-down" to see if there are any broken parts inside the sheet metal. They're within $1200 of totalling it so I guess they're just making sure everything is ok. Right now they're leaning towards fixing it...I say give me the $5k + tax + license and my wife and I will go shopping for a new (used) vehicle. We'll see...more waiting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As of today they've decided to fix my car. We're happy about that but now its time to get new tires...she's going to look as strait as she did 11 years ago on the showroom floor! :) :)

Back