• Register Today It's free!

Fixing TC Clutch ?

benford

Reaction score
City, State
perth
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi All
My 2002 explorer no longer has 4wd and after getting some advice on this site and going to auto electrican and mechanics and spending $350 for him to tell me what i already know (that its not working) i belive that its something to do with the tcc.

on a hoist and in 4wd hi and low it drives the front wheels
it also drives the front wheels in auto after a few seconds but on the ground it just spins the back wheels and no action at all in the front

i have checked the front diff and this is fine

i have also been through deep mud and water in this if there was watery oil in tc would it cause it to not fully ingage

is this the tcc and if so can this part be changed whithout pulling the tc out of car and is it exspensize to fix

im in Australia so all the help i can get would be appreciated as ive been to many mechanics including ford and they all take my money and tell me that they think it ellectrical or that they thinks it mechanical (I alredy knew it was one of the 2)

i need fellow explorer owners help with this one as my mates are all telling me ive made a big mistake buying an explorer and i want to prove them wrong

thatks for any help i get

Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if the third gens have the BW4405 but I'm going to assume so.

Water in the t-case will destroy the clutches. I had a picture somewhere of what it does. If I find it I'll post it.

These are some random pics of the clutch pack. I'll let you figure out if you can replace them without removing the t-case.

clutches1.jpg

clutches2.jpg

swap the front and rear sensor wires with on the transfer case and see if when in auto the front wheels spin. If so then your front drive shaft sensor maybe be dead. If you put her in hi/ or low manually then your speed sensors are not being used.

I had a problem where my truck kept getting stuck in 4x4. I was able to select hi and low with no issues. I had a bad rear drive shaft sensor. It was changed and auto works fine now.

?

so i do need to remove it and if so how hard is it to do (time?)

if i changed the oil would it make any difference or would damage be already done?

and if it isnt locking in the front wheels in 4 high or low could that still be the problem ?

on the computer that the auto ellectrican put it in it was showing around 95% duty cycle

clutch_discs.jpg

Thats what water in the case does to the clutch pack.

Its not difficult to change the clutch pack. Getting the t-case back in and bolted up was the hardest part for me (theres not much clearance at all on the sides).

Back