Cruise Control there, but not hooked up ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control there, but not hooked up ?

fluknick

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, Sport Trac, 5-Speed
Hey all !
Hello and good eve.
First real post.....

I just bought a 2002 Sport Trac, 2wd, 5 speed, base trim, truck.

It has cruise control items: cruise control servo, cable and linkage to throttle body from servo, harness plugged into servo, harness into main harness

It does not have: the deactivator switch on master cylinder, nor the deactivator switch harness, nor the deactivator master cylinder for that matter.

There is no evidence that the steering wheel ever had switches attched ( no scuffing at threads ). Inside the steering wheel, there is a different item plugged into the five pin connector ( horn, I assume ? ).

My questions:
Is it possible to activate this cruise control that exists, but appears to never have been hooked up ?

What do we think is needed ?

Is it common to have factory inactive cruise control ?

Thank you !!!
Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy Cow !
Very relevant thread....
Thank you swshawaii.

Gotta confirm my clock spring....

Follow what we did in that thread. My part #s are dubious, but everything else is good. Be very careful when buying parts. Check descriptions very carefully. A lot of the fitment charts are wrong. Clocksprings from 4 door Explorers DO NOT fit Sport Tracs! The plug for the airbag is different. You need a clockspring that fits a '01-05 Sport Trac or '01-03 2 door Sport with cruise control. Supposedly some later Rangers use the same as the STs and Sports, but I can't confirm that. If you get one from a salvage yard, don't bother with one from a truck in which the airbag has deployed.

The proper clockspring has a gray plug/connector for the airbag (4 dr Explorers have a brown connector), and wires going into all the openings in the back of the large brown plug at the end of the clockspring harness, which is way down behind the lower dash cover. Without cruise, there are wires going into just 3 spaces in the lower connector.

Your truck probably never had cruise control if it's the base model. Maybe somebody started to add it and stopped part way through the process.

I assume base truck, as it is a five speed. I am not certain of the trim package levels. It has stock ubiquitous cd tape sound, power everything, except seats. No sun roof. Fabric seats. Aluminum wheels. Tail gate extension. Etc. I'll get a door tag pic and post.

Its interesting. The harness has the tail for the disconnector at the master cylinder, but the mc is the type for no cruise. Everything else is there- servo, cable, stuff on throttle body- with no signs of tool marks on any of the hardware.
( like its always been there ).

The only thing i am missing would be clock spring and buttons. And mod for buttons. I read that thread, and really appriciate the info in it.

Thanks for the additional above. Im trying to find a wheel from a salvage ST. Good info on airbag deployment, thanks. There is one near me that Im trying to score the tonneau cover off of as well- so the deployment thing was great info.

Thank you !!!
Nick

FordEtis says......
Less Speed Control :p

That said, imma finish a project ;)

Only cause my right knee is super old :p

Hey all....
Long time no speak, but I do appriciate all info on forum, and all opinions- that said i have update, and observation.

As a reminder my sport trac is a base truck 5-Speed.
Also, for below:
TRUCKS = SPORT TRAC

I now have cruise control, pretty much all based on the reference thread, provided by swshawaii (thank you !!!).

Based on what ive seen in yards, all era trucks have cruise. There is only one harness in sport tracs. You just need appropriate steering wheel backing ( or be prepared to trim yours ), clock spring, switches, and brake pressure switch.

I did not install the motorcraft master cylinder with the boss for the brake pressure switch ( i did buy a motorcraft mc, and will install when current one goes bad ). I ONLY PLUGGED THE SENSOR INTO THE HARNESS. Cruise will not finction without this sensor plugged in. Motorcraft sensor IL1Z-9F924-AA, SW-6350 was $22.
Additionally, cruise clock spring was $15 from LKQ. Motorcraft lighted switches were $47. I did get the steering wheel assembly from LKQ, mainly cause it was from a truck with tilt steering, as well...i think $10.

That said, ive been burried by work but was able to focus on this finally. It worked.
Cruise switches, clock spring, and brake pressure sensor was all that was required. Function is correct. Disengages with clutch or brake, accel pause resume off function with buttons. It maintains speed, without disengage, when i shift without clutch ( i only use clutch for 1st and reverse ).

That said, i also realized that all trucks have tilt steering. The jaws and tilt u joint are there on every truck ive looked at- including my own. You do need the release arm from a doner....or easily make one ( when i get into this, I'll put up a drawing- i have autocad and can do pdf ). A 5 speed is so easy it is sick. Upper column comes apart with epander ( plyer / c clip ). A punch is required to knock out the pins that are the hinges for the locking jaws.

I would not attempt with an auto trans as there is a plastic rod that runs from ignition, through this assembly, down the lower steering column and interchanges with shfter...the de install looks pretty tough. But i do not own a secondary vehicle.

Anyway thanks for all help.
The direction and guidence was perfect.
Good job people !!!!

I also hope the " all trucks have" encourages others to at least consider.

Best regards,
Fluknick
Nick Nida

Back