Cuts off at 99MPH!!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cuts off at 99MPH!!!!!

I have followed a car at 120+ before and it never shut down. does the 95 not have a limiter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

100 is my max.

I wonder why ford lowers the top speed on explorers like my 02 sport. i guess its so speed thirsty 17 year olds like myself can't kill themselves. i read on a thread somewhere that this guy managed to get his sport trac up close to 130 with the help from a programmer company called bama chips or something. the one thing that is somewut annoying while driving at high speeds is that it you can feel how light of an suv it is at 4400 lbs. i wonder if anyone knows when they started lowering the top speeds on the ex's.

Old Mechanic, when I started this thread I had a specific question. We don't need you telling us to slow down etc...thats your opinion. Your replies have NOTHING to do with the thread and frankly they do not help at all.
_________
Just a sugestion. If you want to take a chance going 100+mph then go ahead. Just make sure there are no other cars around you. I wouldn't want to see some innocent people killed because someone wants to go 100+mph on a public road with a SUV of all things!

that is agreeable. hell i have a choice to pick from my dads 420 horsepower f150 lariat, or our 04' vette which is soon to have a sibling vette sitting next to it, or my very friendly neighbor is trusting enough to let me borrow his 06 lambo gallardo. if i want to go fast my options are unlimited. it is very foolish to go over 100 because half the idiots in the U.S. don't know the speed rating on there tires.

....the tire ratings are NOT 'max speed' ratings...they are 'sustained speed' ratings.

A tire rated @ 112 mph, could EASILY be used in a 1/4 mi. drag race for speeds in upwards of 135-140...nothing bad will happen.

Take that SAME tire to a dry lake bed (like Bonneville), and try to go 130mph for more than 5 min. and that tire will will fall apart faster than a Firestone ATX @ 50mph under an Explorer in 2001.

Ryan

Cars were dropping like flys on this occasion.

**Disclaimer, done on a closed, private road.

And these were Y rated tires. I do have enough sense to make sure the car is in proper working order.

Attachments

• 1206061610.jpg
    1206061610.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 433

Don´t know how it is w/ the US-Explorers. The few that have been sold in GE have been limited to 172 km/h ( 106 mph ), except from the 98 Modell till 2001 ( the 2002-Modell has never been sold by Ford-GE, they stopped the Explorer because 12000 pcs/yr. is not enough ).

My 06 was limited to 100 mph till i´ve reprogrammed it w/ XCal II. In GE a 100 mph-limit doesn´t make any sense when you´re running highways, you need to speed up several times to pass convoys or you need to stay at 65 mph. And that´s the only reason why I´ve chosen the XCal - not to run high speed permanently. Therefore my Volvo V70 was the better choice.

The speed limiters, rev limiter and nuetral limiter have been around (in one form or another) since before 1998 in the Ranger, not sure when the Explorer was infected with the nuetral limiter...

My 02 sport cuts out at around 99mph. Xcal and track here I come.

i think ive hit 115 in my v6 xlt. maybe 110 but definatly at least 110

Crizz, have you found a top speed for it?

nope, Todd - haven´t been on highways long enough and traffic was to bad to check it out when I was on my rides. Now I´m running my winter-tires and speed limit is 100 mph till next springtime because of the tire rating.

thanks ryan i wouldn't have known that i have never heard that before. yet i know im not going to do that to my new bfgoodrich's. ill prolly stay way below even the sustained speed.

-stephan

I have followed a car at 120+ before and it never shut down. does the 95 not have a limiter?

mine does, at 87 it stops going any faster. And it hard as hell to get it to 87, it starts struggeling at 83.

The truck is 100% stock and according to every place is in 100% working order.

But honestly, anything over 80 in that SUV or any for that matter is scary. Every single one ive been in starts to lift. Thus I love cars for anything over 80 ;)

yes 110 it is, my 97 cuts out at 110mph

yeah my 98 XLT wouldnt be able to go over 99 when i got it a year ago but now it hits the fuel cuttoff at 110 or just shy of it this past week. i didnt realise i was goin that fast but oops. there were no mods done so i dont get what would cause the increase in performance but i seafoamed it twice? its so smooth at that speed too i dont get that either...

oh i didnt realise i was goin that fast i thought i was goin 85ish btw

The vehicle speed limiter is usually not set by the tire rating on vehicles like Explorer, Ranger, F-series, Econoline, etc. Instead, it is set by the max safe driveshaft RPM.

Even a properly balanced driveshaft will develop whip at some critical RPM and it is possible to break u-joints or damage the transmission or transfer case housing or bearings. Ford had a very costly recall on AWD Aerostars because the VSL was set too high for the components. Driveshafts and transfer cases were replaced at Ford's expense and the max speed limiter was lowered by a PCM reflash.

The critical driveshaft RPM can be raised by increasing the diameter, changing the material, shortening the length (e.g., using two shorter shafts with a center carrier bearing), etc. However, driveshaft cost tends to increase dramatically as the upper RPM limit is increased. The final configuration is, like virtually everything else on a vehicle, a compromise between cost and durability.

my 98 doesnt cut off. I didnt do anything to it either. ive had it up to 120 and I HAD TO SLOW DOWN!

2nd gens are limited at 110mph, eh?

I think a test is needed...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 98 sport with the OHV will hit the speed limited at 110, but I need a long down hill road to even get there. Otherwise 90-95 is where it likes to max out at. But yes, anything over 80-85 in my sport is scary, but not as scary as it was with a bad alignment and worn tires... I normally do not drive that fast, Usually try to keep it at a max of 75.

Dan

Back