D44 Question

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
While I am finally begining my search for my SAS in my 02 Sport Trac, I have a couple questions.

1. Is the D44 the same width from a leaf spring Wagoneer and an early bronco w/coils and radius arms? I dont want the front tires sticking out the side of fenders more than the rear tires do.

2. Also what are your opinions on using leafs vs. a radius arm setup from an early bronco.

I apologize if these are elementary questions, I have been reading all the registries, and I am still unsure of the best and most cost effective solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The waggy axle is wider than the EB axle, I think by 2 inches or so but don't quote me on that. Maybe RockRanger or someone who knows for sure will chime in. Speaking of RockRanger, he's running leafs on his waggy and it has plenty of flex. We drove to the trails and back on the highway at 75 and it looked like his Ranger drove as smooth as any coiled rig i've seen on the road.
I think it's gonna come down to preference, I don't think there's a cost savings with either.

I would like to do leafs just because it seems like an easier and less expensive install. I know a SAS is not an "easy" mod, I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say. I am not an extreme offroader living in Missouri, but want the ability to have some serious fun when it comes my way. And my truck will still be my DD, so my 35's will remain the biggest tire I run until I get my new car.

The other issue I have is that I also have a body lift, and dont feel like taking it out. So I dont want my SAS to lift the truck and higher than my current suspension lift already is.

1. Is the D44 the same width from a leaf spring Wagoneer and an early bronco w/coils and radius arms? I dont want the front tires sticking out the side of fenders more than the rear tires do.
Be careful child -- there is more than one width on the Wagoneer D44s. And be especially careful of the J10s as there is a rare line of J10s (another "FSJ" - full size jeep) that come with a super wide axle (2" wider on both sides than even the wide-tracks, which of course my unlucky ass got :confused:). But dont ask me any specifics cauz I'd just end up feeding you wrong info :).

I like the EB set up personally. ;)

I'd go with a Waggy axle. Most have a WMS of around 61.5" which is just about a perfect match with your 8.8 rear.

The Waggy axle is better out of the box than the EB D44. Bigger u-joints and disc brakes being two of the most significant things.

A radius arm setup vs a correctly setup leaf spring setup will cost about the same. With leafs you may spend $75 on some leafs but you have to drop atleast a few hundred into doing histeer as well. I did hi steer and my truck will drive down the road fine. I just did 150 miles in it this weekend to go wheeling and back. For what it is worth I will be pulling the leafs and going coils. The main reason is you can get a better approch angle with coils then with leafs. On your sport trac I would do what stico did with his. just use an early bronco axle. Or get a full size axle and cut the long side down to fit a different dana 44 axle shaft.

Back