Dana 60 being installed under my 91 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 60 being installed under my 91

Progress has finally begun.
The Dana 60 is completed and ready for installation.

Here is the scoop.

I had a local shop put together a reverse cut Dana 60 with 5:13 Gears and an ARB. I am sticking with the ARB because I like it and my TTB had an ARB in it, so all the plumbing is there. The 60 has a center section from a 80s F-350. The Tubes are from something he had around the shop. The Axels are 35spline and cut to fit my application. I put in my order about 6 months ago. Due to him being a friend and letting him get parts as they became available, it took some time. I was not in any rush as I appreciate the work and cost involved if I were to have purchased it elsewhere.
Anyway, the axel is in and I almost completed the teardown. Let me say this. Half of the brackets and components under the front of my EX were either brocken or bent really bad. I had no idea it was such a mess under there. I am so glag the POS is out of there.

FST is going to build my front end. When completed it will have a 4 link and Coil Overs. The rear will be the 8.8 with 5:13s and a E-Locker. I will get springs to match the front end. I will be running 37 or 38 inch Boggers on 15 inch bead locks.

I forgot my camera I will have pictures next time around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got all of the front end completed, exept for hanging the brakes and calipers. This will make it a little easier for them to do the mock up.
All I need now is to figure out what rim and tire I am going to go with.
I heard from a few sources that they do not make a 15 inch rim for the 8 lug axels. Then this weekend I heard that they are out there.
I really want to run 38.5 X 14.50 X 15s on 15X10 or 15X12 bead locks.
If I cant find an inexpensive sourc for that makes a 15X10 or 15X12 beadlock then I am going with a 17 inch rim and running 37X12.50X17s MTRs on a 17X10 or 17X12 inch rim. Just to get the job done sooner, FST uses the 17X12.50X17 MTR and GSAs on there desert racer. They have stacks of them taller than I am:eek:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Someone on the Pirate site was selling 15x8 TR beadlocks with the 8 bolt pattern.. Just got there too late.

So they definatley are available.

They are available, just have to watch caliper clearance. Some guys grind down the calipers so the 15" rim will fit, however, I find this a little concerning due to the fact that the manu built them a certain way and wonder what the heat dispitation is after some alloy is ground away. Either that or the guys get very little back spacing to fit but then the wheel is severely sticking out.

You will love the 17x10 wheel. My truck rides and drives so nice. I'm just sorry I didn't go with the 37s and regear the last time.

Awesome!
Great to hear, Now I just got to find out if they will clear my calipers.

if you wanna save some $$$, get a set of black Eaton's 15x10 with very little backspacing and a set of Rockstomper locks and weld them on yourself. this will give you about a 15x12 once the 'stompers are on, and will clear the front without any grinding on the calipers. a friend has set of these on a mud truck and there was no need for caliper grindage.

Eaton make the beadlocks ready to go for about 149.
I am not sure they are in every magazine. I am going to call tommorow.

You can make new caliper brackets and use 1/2 ton chevy calipers. Turn down the outer dia of the rotors and everything will fit. I have 15x10's with 4.25 back spacing fitting over my brakes like this. search on pirate there is a lot of info about this and what bs requires grinding and what doesn't. There are other companies making beadlock wheels in 15" and 8 lug too. I have rockstompers but I also like the allied beadlocks and I just saw Dave at www.polyperformance.com is now selling some dot approved bead lock wheels even.

becarefull if you go the do it yourself route on the bead locks... stay away from reversed rims centers to get a desired back spacing. The tire will be a f'n mother to get on there... This will not be a concern if you get a manufactured beadlock/wheel combo as the outer dia of the bead lock side of the rim is reduced to allow you to basically "throw" the tire on.

axleinstalled.jpg

Saturday's progress. Stuffed the housing with the axles, installed knuckles, spindles and rotors.

It was pretty cool, I spent a ton of time helping FST getting the race truck ready!
Lots of testosterone in that shop.

Latest work...

Attachments

• pumpkin_bracket.jpg
    pumpkin_bracket.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 641

Rick,
Thanks for posting the pic. I was there last night helping on the trophy truck and trying to get the parts off my Ex that I have sold. They craked the block on the trophy truck. Not sure what caused that.
Anyway they boxed out the frame where the upper and lower radius arms will attach. It looks pretty stout.

Update!!

Back on track with some 38" Boggers :D

Attachments

• bogger_front.jpg
    bogger_front.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 577
  • bogger_side.jpg
    bogger_side.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 576

How much is gonna get trimmed so they can tuck into the fenders?

It looks cool as hell by the way.

OH man those fenders are GONE....just take em off and make up some tube..
thats sick!

Thanks for the pics Rick. I dropped the tires off yesterday morning and they had not taken all the vehicles out of the shop. I could not get over there to fit them up. It looks freakin cool. I plan on cutting the fenders up pretty good. However It looks like they need to bring the front end forward a bit. I am going in Saturday to work on the Christine (the race truck). Stop in if you are not doing anything, I have tons of questions.

any updates on this project????

wes

I have my rear axels ordered with the 8 lug pattern I need.
Once those are in I will find some disks and calipers and finally weld some brackets for the rear brakes and complete that portion. I will be removing my steering box and taking it to benchworks of Scottsdale and having them get it set up for hydraulic steering. I will have Howe engineering replace my steering pump. I am not sure what ram I will use yet. Anyway it is slow. Time and money are the biggest factors right now.
Things are looking up though. I did a favor for someone who is paying me back by making me a rear bumper/spare tire carrier.

Update!!!

My search for a set of 8 lug axels to fit the Ford 8.8 has ended. To get rid of my headache :banghead: I sold the 8.8 with the Elocker and 5:13 Gears that have never seen gear oil, along with the disk brake conversion kit that I never installed and the SVO cover for $1000.00 ;) From there I purchased a full width Dana 60 rear with 5:13 gears and a detroit locker for $750.00. Now I have $250.00 to go towards spings. :p
FST is finishing a couple projects for MTX
One is the MTX Avalanche that will be used in new x.. 2 movie, and the other is the MTX F-150 for James Hetfield.
Once those are done they will concentrate on mine. We have an October deadline.
I have begun cutting fenders, I removed the rear bumper and I will be making room for the tires so the suspension can go through its full articulation.
Pictures will come soon.

Hammer, did FST provide any parts, or did you supply all the parts and their doing the labor/fab?

Is the rear still 30 spline or has it been upgraded to 35?

Either way, its gonna be sick. :)

Back