Dang, my driveshaft is too short

CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I went to start setting the pinion angle for my 9" yesterday and found that the stock explorer drive shaft is too short :( I screwed around with a few spares I had laying around but no way to build a longer one out of the parts I have on hand.

For those of you who have done 9" SOA swap on a 1st gen 4 door what kind of shaft did you use? I'm sure you all will say "mine fit" hahaha. I know of a place to get the stock shaft lengthened that's no problem, but if there is another shaft that'll work in the junk yard i'd like to hear about it.

My front one is too short also...but i'm going to build a square shaft for it. Think i'd shake myself silly if I did that in the rear :confused::eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was in the same boat as you, I used a piece of pipe and lengthened the rear by 2", no problems since then.

Square tube front shafts rawk. :D

If I get ballsy I may try to lengthen it myself just to get it on the trail. Weld in an extension then sleeve it. I will drive it once a week or so just to keep it moving when not on the trail so it does need to be somewhat balanced.

Square tube front is a definite go. Too easy not too. :D

If I get ballsy I may try to lengthen it myself just to get it on the trail. Weld in an extension then sleeve it. I will drive it once a week or so just to keep it moving when not on the trail so it does need to be somewhat balanced.

Square tube front is a definite go. Too easy not too. :D

Ill have to check what size pipe I used, its was a perfect fit.

I had the same prob. I went and took mine to a drive line shop and had them cut a new tube for it and lenghten it 3

I was thinking about it this morning and I think that I could cut the drive shaft and do an inner and outter sleeve. Should be very strong like that. Guess the only factor in doing that though is finding the right size tube. Snoboarded, did you use HREW?

its a pipe size, maybe 3" sch 40 pipe. I forget exactly what.

Eh what the heck...may as well give it a go. Worst thing that could happen is I have to limp back to camp. :D

Think I'll try to do an internal and external sleeve though just to make sure.

Back