• Register Today It's free!

Dang rear wheel bearing

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
Finally decided to tackle this job. It's been making a growling for several thousand miles. Got the hub out after about 2-3 hours. Definitely a bad bearing. Very tight, but feels really cobby. When I pulled the wheel off I could feel the bearing was really hot. I doubt it would have gone much longer.

So, getting the bearing out... My 12 ton press can't do it. Guess I'm going to have to take it to a shop to get the job done. Those are some huge bearings and tight as hell. Has anyone had good luck taking to NAPA? I'm a little worried about some flunky screwing it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those things can be a nightmare to press apart, especially if they have already started wobbling, and/or overheating. Just take it to a local repair shop ( the knuckle assembly). They'll probably charge you $40-$50 to press the old ones out, and the new ones in, for both sides. I would also highly recommend replacing the hubs at the same time, especially if things have already gotten to the point of getting very hot. In this application, hub refers to the "stub" shaft and flange, which the rear wheel studs are attached to.

Those things can be a nightmare to press apart, especially if they have already started wobbling, and/or overheating. Just take it to a local repair shop ( the knuckle assembly). They'll probably charge you $40-$50 to press the old ones out, and the new ones in, for both sides. I would also highly recommend replacing the hubs at the same time, especially if things have already gotten to the point of getting very hot. In this application, hub refers to the "stub" shaft and flange, which the rear wheel studs are attached to.

Right you are. It came out in pieces. Hub is destroyed. The inner race spun on on the hub. No way it's coming off.

The outer race is still in the knuckle. It is in bad shape. One half of it loos like a weld bead. Know idea how to get it out because there is no surface to press on without the inner race. Think it's time to just look for a whole new assembly.

Really amazing it wasn't noisier than it was. I drove it all the way from DC to CO and it didn't get any worse!

Right you are. It came out in pieces. Hub is destroyed. The inner race spun on on the hub. No way it's coming off.

The outer race is still in the knuckle. It is in bad shape. One half of it loos like a weld bead. Know idea how to get it out because there is no surface to press on without the inner race. Think it's time to just look for a whole new assembly.

Really amazing it wasn't noisier than it was. I drove it all the way from DC to CO and it didn't get any worse!

If I remember right, the knuckle is cast aluminum, so I doubt the steel outer race is actually welded to it. Try using a Dremel or something carefully cut out a section of the race. This should relieve any radial tension and make it easier to drive out the rest. You might be able to get an air chisel on the edge or something?

If I remember right, the knuckle is cast aluminum, so I doubt the steel outer race is actually welded to it. Try using a Dremel or something carefully cut out a section of the race. This should relieve any radial tension and make it easier to drive out the rest. You might be able to get an air chisel on the edge or something?

No, its a steel casting or forging. I was thinking about trying to grind a slice through it. Even if I get into the housing, I doubt it would weaken it enough to matter. Gonna be a lot of grinding though because it's a bigass bearing!

No, its a steel casting or forging. I was thinking about trying to grind a slice through it. Even if I get into the housing, I doubt it would weaken it enough to matter. Gonna be a lot of grinding though because it's a bigass bearing!

I wouldn't try to grind it. Like you said, it would be a lot of grinding. I like the Dremel Ez-Lock system. I use the little cutoff wheels for all kinds of automotive stuff.

This is about the nastiest bearing race I've ever seen. No wonder it was noisy. It was still tight and felt smooth by hand though.

photo.jpg

Back