Dealership is charging me $180 bucks to install optional Equipment on my new Ex!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealership is charging me $180 bucks to install optional Equipment on my new Ex!!!

To the OP, Matt, how much are you actually paying for the DVD player? You never mentioned this in your post. Maybe you are getting a good deal, and don't know it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to break it to ya, but if you ordered the Factory Spalsh Guards as part of your 'official order', you will be charged $185 for about $90 dollors worth of product. The other $95 is for labor. I've seen this on dealership's window stickers. Just take a look/see:

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK8F81BGA05464&refid=FV

That is correct, which is why he should not be paying "extra" for installation when that is included in the window sticker price. I ordered the splash guards from the factory and I realize that a large part of that price is labor, which is why I would not pay any additional later.

That is correct, which is why he should not be paying "extra" for installation when that is included in the window sticker price. I ordered the splash guards from the factory and I realize that a large part of that price is labor, which is why I would not pay any additional later.

Thank you, his post just proved our points right.

This is all pointless talk until the OP chimes in with what he was charged for the entire DVD package, if it was agreed to be installed at that price, or if it was sold as an add-on that he would pay installation for. Nobody else knows the situation.

To me it sounds like he bought the DVD as a dealer installed factory option (like the mud guards in Bill's post) and the dealer is now telling him it's going to be $180 to put them in.

Which means, either:

1.) They were purchased as an after sale add on, which he is responsible for installing
2.) The person he was talking to at the dealer has no clue what they were talking about
3.) The dealer is trying to double-dip
4.) The dealer told him the price of the DVD players minus install, which after the $180 install add up to the actual factory ordered-dealer installed price, like rnmomx2's mudflaps were separated.

Until the blanks are filled in, it's like throwing mud at a wet wall.

I would never pay for the installation of mud guards i did it my self it took me 20 min to install even with out taking off the rear tires .

I certainly don't expect to pay anything extra to have my splash guards installed ... and I can't believe my dealer would nickel and dime me over it. I also made sure when I ordered my car that the additional dealer fee ($57) covered a full tank of gas when I pick up my X. In '78 I bought a Camaro Z-28, and when I picked it up and drove off the lot, I ran out of gas about 2 miles down the road! Never again will I take a car from a dealer w/o a full tank of gas. It just makes sense to me that if they want repeat business they will make me happy ... seriously!

*This is a Ford Licensed Accessory. See your dealer for limited warranty information and other product details. $1995.00

Sounds to me he should have checked with the dealer for more information.

I think you should be more upset at the dealer than Ford.....if the $180 is that important....threaten to walk.

There are plenty of other dealers,iwould not hesitate to walk,in fact i would have walked the minuite they mentioned it!!!!!!

*This is a Ford Licensed Accessory. See your dealer for limited warranty information and other product details. $1995.00

Sounds to me he should have checked with the dealer for more information.

It is an accessory if you buy it separately. If you order it from the factory and it is on your window sticker, it is a factory option that the dealer installs, not an accessory and should not have to pay an install fee to have a factory option installed.

I would NEVER pay for this. I would let them have their pretty new X. Too many Ford lots out there that would love to sell a car. I learned to trade car off a buddy of mine that walked off the lot over $50 off the price of a brand new Chevy Z71. Not $50 a month, off the total price. He says too many starving car salesmen out there to deal with an idiot. Another thing I hate is the dealer add-on sticker. Ends up being a butt load of $$ to wash and peel the plastic off the vehicle a smart buyer never pays that crap. Oh ya and the "processing" fee $500 or so to type up the paperwork. The last one I bought I refused to pay it. The sales manager told me it covered the pay for the office people. I said I would walk and told him whats next a "register" fee at wal-mart. They don't charge me extra to ring up my groceries. I bought the vehicle, I think he was glad to see me leave! Oh ya, I too always demand a tank of gas. That is the least you can get.

STU

Its on my window sticker under "optional equipment" along with my 20 inch wheel/tire package. It cost me about $2,000.

-m

Have any of you had to deal with this crap??? I ordered the dual headrest DVD system with my new $40,000 Explorer and the dealership turns around and charges me another $180 to install it!!! :mad:

I mean I would think that when you order a vehicle it would come already assembled including the stupid DVD player! What's next Ford...Are you going to charge me extra to put tires on it too??? :thumbdwn: Shame on you Ford!

I asked the dealer what's going on and they say that Ford is passing the cost on to them so they are passing it on to me! I knew it was deler installed option but charging the customer extra to completly assemble a brand new $40,000 truck seems ridiculous to me!

Very disapointed...
--Matt H.
So at what point did you learn they charged $180? When you placed your order? After your vehicle arrived?

Its on my window sticker under "optional equipment" along with my 20 inch wheel/tire package. It cost me about $2,000.

-m

If that's the case, I'd let Seni know, as well as call the Ford customer service number. If it is indeed included as part of the package purchased and the dealer is trying to pull cash out of your pocket to install it, Ford would love to know about it- dealers lose licenses over stuff like that.

You're getting hosed. The dealer shouldn't be charging for installing the DVD headrests. They're already marked up, your dealer is nickel and diming you and others because no ones complained to corporate yet.

I would NEVER pay for this. I would let them have their pretty new X. Too many Ford lots out there that would love to sell a car. I learned to trade car off a buddy of mine that walked off the lot over $50 off the price of a brand new Chevy Z71. Not $50 a month, off the total price. He says too many starving car salesmen out there to deal with an idiot. Another thing I hate is the dealer add-on sticker. Ends up being a butt load of $$ to wash and peel the plastic off the vehicle a smart buyer never pays that crap. Oh ya and the "processing" fee $500 or so to type up the paperwork. The last one I bought I refused to pay it. The sales manager told me it covered the pay for the office people. I said I would walk and told him whats next a "register" fee at wal-mart. They don't charge me extra to ring up my groceries. I bought the vehicle, I think he was glad to see me leave! Oh ya, I too always demand a tank of gas. That is the least you can get.

STU

Over $50? Sorry, my time is actually worth something to me. If $50 is what it comes down to, I'd pay and move on.

STU

Over $50? Sorry, my time is actually worth something to me. If $50 is what it comes down to, I'd pay and move on.

I agree with both of you. Sometines the only way to "vote" is with your wallet.

The only thing I'd add to Token's response is, "never to return for another purchase or service (this is where big $$$ is made)".

I think the real answer lies in becoming a better negotiator. No way should any deal break down over $50. We don't get what we deserve, we get what we negotiate.

Thanks everyone for weighing-in on this. I'm over my initial angriness over this issue. It's not the amount of money; it’s just that I hate being taken advantage of. There are complications with me walking away from this deal...It’s way too long of a story to get into in the forums...I have contacted Ford Customer Service as well as sending a letter to the president of the dealership whom I happen to know.

I guess I was just shocked since they didn't let me know about the charge until the 11th hour, no mention of it at all until I go to sign the papers then its " Oh, by the way, you also owe us $180 for the DVD install" Very unprofessional if you ask me.

I'll let you all know what happens...I'm gonna get the truck, but I'm also going to continue to try to get out of paying this charge...

--Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I'd add to Token's response is, "never to return for another purchase or service (this is where big $$$ is made)".

Definitely. It's funny that most car salesmen don't push more for the repeat business (or ask for referrals).

Back