deamon3's Jurassic Park explorer build thread | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

deamon3's Jurassic Park explorer build thread

sometimes one needs to go old school to find the problem. is it a fuel related issue, timing issue, electrical issue? Once you isolate the venue it makes it easier to begin the trouble shoot. Just a thought.

oh and the 2nd gen crawler JP mobile is the perfect trailer queen! It only goes out to play now, it is street legal and runs great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do I get codes the "old school" way?

Yeah, it isn't supposed to be doing that. If the EGR is stuck open then it will cause the engine to run rough at idle. It will also cause a decrease in over all power. Are you sure your check engine light works and isn't burnned out or disconnected? Mine comes on when I can't even find anything wrong with it and it is running great. When you turn the ignition on check to see if the light turns on before you start it. It should light up momentarily as a system check.

How do I get codes the "old school" way?

you don't get codes using old school you run on logic and powers of deduction, another words use your brain man! lol

How do you think Rick's Drag racer was built????

you don't get codes using old school you run on logic and powers of deduction, another words use your brain man! lol

sure, do it the hard way. Friggen brains. If god wanted us to use our brains, he wouldn't have given us so much fun stuff to drive through.

i wanna see some update pics...

Well it has 147k on it and just runs awful , in fact , it never has really run right.

But my two accords just keep going , one has 180k and the other 250k and they just never ask for anything , they always start no matter how long they sit. The one with 250k has bald tires warped brakes busted shocks but always starts and goes , it's 20 years old with the same engine/trans

But this explorer supposedly already had the transmission rebuilt when I bought it at 127k. It leaks oil , coolent , transmission fluid , it shifts funny , it's loud , it's slow , the brakes overheat and leak , the rockers are rusted gone , and it's 4 years newer them my 250k honda , lol.

I wish I could mount the explorer body on my honda chassis.

Just a thought here, but are you sure that you didn't get duped when you bought it? I bought my 1993 X back in 2004, and was told it had 125k... turns out it had either 225k or 325k, I'm still not sure, as the counter stops at the 5 digit mark, and checking records was pointless... single owner. It sounds like with the problems that you're having, she's got more miles than you may think. I say that only because I have abused my X terribly, both on and off road, and she's never complained once. (a honda accord was my first car, and I destroyed it's auto tranny in about a week...)

Maybe there is some way to confirm the miles its actually run, but if so, I don't know of it.

Well here's a pic from today just so you ca see I haven't shipped it to the scrap yard yet , lol.

pict7788.jpg

If you get rid of the truck dont scrap the grill guard I still need one for my JPX.

Also what kinda sun roof is that???

If you get rid of the truck dont scrap the grill guard I still need one for my JPX.

Also what kinda sun roof is that???

It was a joke I'll be buried in this thing b4 I scrap it.

The "moon roof" is a dealer add on from the early 90's made by asc. It pulls all the way back and pops up , pretty cool.

Deamon3 what paint did use and how is it holding up??

I love your Explorer! I used to have a 91 Sport that I wanted to paint up as a JP X, even though it would not be totally authentic, it would still rock. I sold it before I did anything to it. Now, I miss it. I'd prefer a 4 door model though.

Are you still planning to add the raised roof?

I'd like to but the car is sitting in a barn right now with no plates and is STILL broken. Everything that is wrong with the car is engine/transmission related. 140,000 miles 17 years and it's already gave up on me time and time again.

It amazes me just how bad the explorer is compared to my hondas , which are both older and higher millage , but work perfectly.

Why don't you try to sell it? Or buy a used manual trans?

Are you throwing engine codes? Mine is a real POS but has a manual and it runs and drives like a champ. I've had little things go wrong that caused engine trouble... loose temp sensor wire, loose connection on the MAF sensor, cable-tie on the gas pedal, power steering stop leak... these are little things I was able to do for free that have made the truck run great. Of course I don't have anything for you on the transmission... keep hearing about those autos being stupid.

But anyway, the 4.0 has plenty of power if it runs well and the trans works well. I can do donuts on dry pavement with no engine mods.

But anyway, the 4.0 has plenty of power if it runs well and the trans works well. I can do donuts on dry pavement with no engine mods.

That's because you have the manual 5 speed trans. By no means are the 4.0's that powerful. I have yet to see an unmodified 4.0 OHV engine that's fast. I have a 96 4.0 automatic and it will only break the tires loose on wet pavement or going around a corner.

On the other hand I have a 99 3.0L V6 Ranger with the 5 speed manual that I consider fast. It's faster than my X and can do donuts on dry pavement. Any 3.0 automatic I've driven is slow...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want it!

Back