Sneak Peak: My Jurassic Park Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sneak Peak: My Jurassic Park Explorer

Starting a JP explorer, got a few questions:

what size is that battery box lid for the tracker?

What kind and where did you get the brush guard and it's fog lights?

Where did you get the rear brush guards?

Where did you get the running boards?

Yours looks awesome by the way!!

Unfortunately all the items you're asking about are incorrect/inaccurate on mine :) But most of my stuff came from ebay, craigslist, and the junkyard. Use 'searchtempest' to cover more ground on craigslist.

1.) Battery box lid was a one-off on ebay. Mine's a little too small.

2.) Brush guard - The one in the movie is VERY hard to find. I got "lucky" and foundone on craigslist but it's still not exactly right since mine was chrome and made for a really big truck. Took some work to make it fit my car.

3.) Brush guard lights - Again, almost impossible to get the right stuff here. I used a pair of 6" worklights.

UjVwkXQl.jpg

4.) Tail light guards - on screen they have 4 flat bars. Mine are 3 round bars. Found on ebay for $20. This is another item that you'll just have to continually search for.

5.) Running boards - Junkyard find. $15 a piece, Continental brand in aluminum finish. Painted black using "rattle can" rustoleum trim and bumper paint. The boards in the film are a different brand and hard to find.

Houston has a couple REALLY big pick-a-part junkyards that are just awesome. Finding this stuff is mostly just getting lucky after continuously searching. It takes patience for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is pretty cool , wish mine still worked

someday , the "everything" is broken on it at the moment

I just found a screen accurate brush guard an hour away from me in chicago. Picking it up this weekend. Looks like the Go Rhino in the movie. Called her and she said she'd already sold the truck but she called them and they let her have the brush guard back. Buying it for $175. Super f***in stoked!

I just found a screen accurate brush guard an hour away from me in chicago. Picking it up this weekend. Looks like the Go Rhino in the movie. Called her and she said she'd already sold the truck but she called them and they let her have the brush guard back. Buying it for $175. Super f***in stoked!

If you're talking about this '91 with the "JRSC PRK" plates then I hate you. Seriously man I don't even have the right brush guard (or tail light guards lol) on mine. Lucky little devil, you!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4065436528.html

You making any other progress?

I'm making progress. Dash and center console fab is coming up. Fixed my track sensor on the front bumper. Decals being printed next week. Found some clear glass for the rear passenger area but my drill died while drilling out the rivets at the junkyard.

Ze19Onal.jpg

dX3X74ul.jpg

xiOvwsal.jpg

Oh my another first gen jpx and with in two hours from me

Yep still do I'm putting a 5.0 motor in it right now..

Thinking of just getting the 6" work lights like you have. in the pic they have that thin wire grille, where do you get that?

Time for an alarm! I've shared this story a few other places so sorry if you've already read this:

So last Sunday I was at a bar with a buddy who was in town for the weekend and someone did a bit of vandalizing on my Explorer. Broken fog lights, kicked in brush guard, dented hood, stolen hubcap among other little things. Pain in the butt to deal with and really heartbreaking since I've put so much work into it. Lesson learned though: No more late night bars. Add an alarm system. Try to keep the truck away from drunk people.

I would've been more pissed if they messed with my decals so it could've been worse I'd say. The plans for the bubble roof are making me really nervous in light of this event. My Explorer could easily wind up with a broken bubble top like the one at IOA. *sigh. I love/hate having this thing sometimes.

Sent you a PM. Again this sucks man. I made a Ghostbusters car out of an 87 ford taurus wagon and it looked legit. Was at a bar with some friends for one of their birthdays and went outside just in time to see someone throw a cupcake at and have it stick on the windshield. I blew the f*** up on the guy that threw it. That was just a cupcake so i can imagine how pissed you were about a full fledged JP Explorer.

If you're wondering how the bubble roof was made , I found the original mold to be that of a 92 buick roadmaster hearse roof. There where a lot of boxy coach roofs for the road master but there's a smooth one that you will recognize the shape immediately.

Deamon. I found the pictures youre talking about but it looks like the front of it slopes down and almost meets the windshield. I think you could form Plexiglass on the INSIDE of it as im sure the hearse is just as wide as the expo?

Deamon. I found the pictures youre talking about but it looks like the front of it slopes down and almost meets the windshield. I think you could form Plexiglass on the INSIDE of it as im sure the hearse is just as wide as the expo?

the explorer is obviously a different shape then the roadmaster. But I think they simply used the same mold and just cut the portion that meets the stock roof so it would fit the explorer.

I'm not saying it's 100% perfect from the roadmaster , but It does appear to be the source of that very hard to achieve double curve convex shape.

the explorer is obviously a different shape then the roadmaster. But I think they simply used the same mold and just cut the portion that meets the stock roof so it would fit the explorer.

I'm not saying it's 100% perfect from the roadmaster , but It does appear to be the source of that very hard to achieve double curve convex shape.

Be interesting to see if the roadmaster is fiberglass or not. Could get plexiglass and heat it up and push it into or around the roadmoaster top then cut to fit?

scood--Sorry to hear about the news!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow I haven't updated here in a long time! Lots of progress to show you guys....

Back