Difference in front axle, with or w/o tow package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference in front axle, with or w/o tow package?

69Mach1

Reaction score
City, State
Florida Panhandle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT & 2010 Mustang
2016 XLT FWD 3.5L, started getting clicking noise when turning right, sometimes. So looked at pricing new front axles thinking CV joints are aging (94K on clock). I noticed there are different axles for with or without trailer towing package. I do not have the package but wondered what the difference was, and if they are interchangeable? One brand at Rock Auto says theirs will fit with or without trailer towing package. All other brands list separate shafts for towing or not. So I assume the splines are the same. Maybe with towing is maybe just stronger?

Short version. I'm wondering if the towing version fits non-tow package Explorers, why not order the shafts for towing and assume it is stronger?

Hi Jeff. Perhaps check out Tasca and Levittown Ford as well. Levittown is a site vendor and offers members a discount.

Peter

Hi Jeff. Perhaps check out Tasca and Levittown Ford as well. Levittown is a site vendor and offers members a discount.

Peter
I'm certainly happy to support a vendor that supports this site. I will be sure to check them out when I figure out if I can, or should, install a tow package front axle on a non-tow package Explorer. Thanks for the info!

Back