Dirver's Power Seat Tilt Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dirver's Power Seat Tilt Issue

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, cA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
I Googled and searched the threads but did not find something identical to me.

2011 Explorer XLT

My driver's side power seat is acting up.

I can go forward, back, up, down. I can lean the seat back, BUT it stuck now. I can not bring the seat back up from the leaning back position. I've see other post were they do not work at all but everything else works.
I was playing with the bottom of the seat but don't know what fuse or connector is the one .
Checking to see if anyone has experience only a part of their seat not working and what you did.

Last resort will be going to a shop. My back is going to get messed up lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have memory seats? (Numbers 1,2,3 next to the unlock,lock button on the door)

If you don't have memory then you have one of two possible issues.

The switch is bad (or not making good contact inside) or the wiring from the switch to the motor is bad.

Motor wouldn't be bad as it is the same motor that moves the back forwards or backwards, polarity is just reversed.

Wouldn't be fuse or ground because all seat functions would fail if it was. One power wire and one ground wire go to the seat switch.

I would look at the switch first. Take it apart and clean with contact cleaner. If that isn't the issue you could have a chaffed wire in the seat.

I had similar issue with my ford fusion, so bought a switch from rockauto and replaced it myself, it then worked fine.

yours could be the same.

Hi, Everyone. So, this problem just happened. After bringing my mother to her doctor's appointment, I went back out to my Explorer Sport to take a nap while waiting for her to get done. I reclined my driver's side seat down, but not all the way down. I napped for about 30 minutes. But, when I woke up and attempted to bring my driver's seat back up to the position I normally have it to drive, nothing happened. Because I was confused at what all was happening, I did push back on the tilt control switch, and the seat reclined back to what I guess is the maximum rear tilt position. But, when I did the opposite, nothing happened. And, now my driver's seat is stuck in full recline. I tried the forward/revers and the up/down controls, and both worked.

Also, while I was driving several years ago, I heard like a thud and actually felt my lumbar support give way. At that time, I just felt it was going to involve a lot of money and decided that fixing the lumbar support problem was something I could forego.

However, this problem has now appeared, and I need help. In contrast to the lumbar problem, a driver's seat that's stuck in a full-recline position is a safety issue now because I can't see out as good and I have to pull myself back up using my steering wheel, which causes me to slightly turn my steering wheel And, that's taking a big risk when I'm driving at high speeds on the highway. I just took my Explorer out of the dealership's shop this past Saturday for an oil change and tire rotation. And, it's the first time I've adjusted the tilt of the driver's side seat.

If someone can give me any guidance, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum Kenneth. :wave:
It could be the motor or the switch. There are different motors for different seat functions. Do you have memory seat positions programmed? Have you tried to see if it will return the seat back to normal?
see also; 2011 Limited seat recline stopped working

Peter

Do you have memory seats? (Numbers 1,2,3 next to the unlock,lock button on the door)

If you don't have memory then you have one of two possible issues.

The switch is bad (or not making good contact inside) or the wiring from the switch to the motor is bad.

Motor wouldn't be bad as it is the same motor that moves the back forwards or backwards, polarity is just reversed.

Wouldn't be fuse or ground because all seat functions would fail if it was. One power wire and one ground wire go to the seat switch.

I would look at the switch first. Take it apart and clean with contact cleaner. If that isn't the issue you could have a chaffed wire in the seat.
Thank you so much for the quick response and recommendation. Will try.

I had similar issue with my ford fusion, so bought a switch from rockauto and replaced it myself, it then worked fine.

yours could be the same.
Thank you so much for the quick response and your recommendation. Will try.

Welcome to the Forum Kenneth. :wave:
It could be the motor or the switch. There are different motors for different seat functions. Do you have memory seat positions programmed? Have you tried to see if it will return the seat back to normal?
see also; 2011 Limited seat recline stopped working

Peter
No memory seat position programming, and the seat won't return back to normal. Thank you for you quick response.

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I’m trying to assist a customer and she is having this same issue with her Ford Explorer, all other positions work accept to put the seat back up from the laying down tilt position.

My power seat (6 way, no memory) rear tilt isn't working. Move foward, back and front tilt goes up and down. Guessing its the switch as they have a reputation of failing. No video on the base 6 way to remove. IA auto has a 10 way video. tried to prry out the panel with a butter knife as pressing from the inside does nothing. Butter knife kinda works but don't want to force it, pops right back into place.
Haynes manual is useless and dont see youtube, etc to fix it.
Ideas?

yours could be the same.
Similar issue? Elaborate please. Mine will recline forward but will not recline backwards

Similar issue? Elaborate please. Mine will recline forward but will not recline backwards
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The member you quoted was last seen here on August 29, 2020, so may no longer be following. Have you tied visiting a Ford Edge forum to see if others there have had the same issue?

Peter

Back