BBP is the way to go!!! Pic warning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BBP is the way to go!!! Pic warning

FireZapper

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
cage030.jpg

BBP did it again... Awesome work Aaron!!!!! All 4 visors are useable!, All switches work, seats have FULL slide, all cubbies/glovebox are accessable!

Toolbox and hi-lift mounted.
cage055.jpg

Triangulation!!
cage044.jpg

Everything is nice and close to the body!
cage038.jpg

cage031.jpg

cage037.jpg

Rewards for an awesome job!!
cage051.jpg

Build up pictures here...Sport cage build up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pottsy's work is awsome...anyone thinking about fab work done would be extremely happy with his stuff. He's also building slider kits for those of you who may be interested, dont' know if he has an explorer kit yet but i'm sure he could help you out!

his slider kits are universal, give him the length and then he makes them, you have to cut and atach the riggers that go from slider to frame at both ends My x should be getting a set sometime late spring if all goes as planned ;)

Great Job Pottsy!

Looks good and should do the job but IMO it is a poor design. You have the triangulation part down but a cage also gets its strength from nodes. Alot of your tube joints do not have nodes. For example the x-brace ends at mid span of the tube between the b and c pillar. Also at the b-pillar you have tubes coming into it at 3 seperate points at the top. From the looks of it you could have easily joined all 3 in one place. Overall though I think it came out good and I like the toolbox mount.

dman726749 said:
his slider kits are universal, give him the length and then he makes them, you have to cut and atach the riggers that go from slider to frame at both ends My x should be getting a set sometime late spring if all goes as planned ;)

Ditto for my B2, but I'm hopeing for mid to late winter. :D

Looks great, but man thats alot of weight up high! are you concerned? I am guessing no. hahaha

Alot of weight!... We figured about 150 lbs total... DOM .120 1-1/2" is 1.78# per foot. We used about 3 1/2 sticks.... Real weight is about 115 then frame mounts, toolbox, Hi-Lift and mig wire? So 150 is real close

As for the top spreaders coming from 1 spot... NOPE the front 2 have room for your head.... The rear is set up for a single seat in the future. So the design is for function....

We also figure if the body deflects enough to effect the cage.... I'm doing something that will send me and my passengers to the hospital anyway.

FireZapper said:
We also figure if the body deflects enough to effect the cage.... I'm doing something that will send me and my passengers to the hospital anyway.
This should be the point of the cage in the first place-to stop you and passengers from being sent to the hospital. I don't know what you are planning on using the cage for, but that's what one is for.

The point I meant... If the body deflects enough to move the cage... I have been in a vehicle that rolled offroad... From wheels to wheels (360) even. Yes the body had some damage, but not enough to worry about. So if I roll MULTIPLE times I'm still cool.... ANd If the cage does move... I want to go to the hospital just for a check up.... Whiplash, brusing from the seatbelts...

Yes on an open top heep you need to think about the design... But inside a vehicle you also need to think of space and function.

Here's one... Also my solution to the holes in the floor. Still under design but close to final product.
cageseal003.jpg

FireZapper said:
Here's one... Also my solution to the holes in the floor. Still under design but close to final product.
cageseal003.jpg

Hmm the first pics of welds look good but these ones look so so.:putson flame suit:

You also have to remember where that is. Very hard to get to and make the welds look nice... Plenty of penatration... That all that really matters..

Back