• Register Today It's free!

Can you add a dipstick?

L911

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer, Govt Issue
Is it possible or practical to add a dipstick to the automatic transmission on my 2003 Ford Explorer?

I've had the fluid & filter changed in it & I have the "tool" to check the level underneath, the transmission, but I would prefer a "dipsticK".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tranny Dipstick

The tranny I have does not have a dipstick at all. I want to add a dipstick if possible. That "kit" looks more lie just a deeper pan and a sparkly tube....?

The kit linked does two things:
1) adds an additional 4-qts oil capacity
2) supplies a dipstick that is used to read trans fluid levels.

Did I miss something?

ok

Ok, if the dipstick does fit in the tranny pan, it should work.

So does the "other" stock ford tranny pan have a dipstick straight to the pan?

All i wanted to know is: can I add a dipstick on my tranny, sparkly or not, LOL. Another forum site states their is a kit from ford to add a dipstick for $100 +/-.

I havent looked at it that close, maybe i can just add a dipstick from a salvage vehicle....

I think you can. I know there's somebody on this forum that rigged something like that. Drilled a hole on the side of the pan, sealed it and called it a success. Can't find that thread anymore. My only concern is how reliable that "mod" is, if spending $20 will make you sleep better not to toast your $4500 transmission probably it's ok.

I believe there's no such kit, otherwise ford made millions in profit.

The dipstick is usually in the body not on the pan, and thanks for the ford accounting department for designing a transmission that has both fill and drain on the bottom. A janitor know that it's better to create a fill hole on top and drain hole on the bottom and place them sideways.

just found the thread, it's not on the explorer forum but for the mustang..

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/transmission-articles/466716-5r55s-dipstick-install.html

Is it possible or practical to add a dipstick to the automatic transmission on my 2003 Ford Explorer?

I've had the fluid & filter changed in it & I have the "tool" to check the level underneath, the transmission, but I would prefer a "dipsticK".

Yes. I covered my own install in the following thread:

Transmission Fluid on 05 explorer, 7-09-2010, my post on 7-13-2010, post #11 . :

Here is a couple pics showing where/how I brazed the ell to the side of the pan, and the bends needed for the tube to clear the O2 sensor lead, and wind up at a reachable place for filling. I did not want the tube to be real long; Ford always had a bracket up at the top of the tube which caught under a bolt at the rear of the cyl. head. That I have not done, and may not, although I may regret it if that tube cracks off!

The dipstick is an old one which I found hanging on my shop wall, believe it was from a Mustang 5.0L HO engine. A rubber grommet seals the stick when in the tube, against dust, etc.

Last effort of the day today I got the pan back on, installed the fill tube, and poured in 5 qts. of Mercon V, just as slick as could be, not a drop spilled anywhere, used one of those long skinny black transmission funnels.

Any other questions, feel free to ask! imp

5r55s_10.jpg

5r55s_11.jpg

Back